Subject: IFCSS HQ NR-4048: Situation Analysis for S1216

From: IFCSS HQ <ifcss>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 92 18:22:47 -0400

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4048       October 2, 1992
              SITUATION ANALYSIS FOR S.1216
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

              Situation Analysis for S.1216
              =============================

     This is the second day S1216 has been in the White House. As
time passes, anxiety grows among our students. The HQ is well aware
of the strain caused by the uncertainties the bill is facing. The 
HQ has been exhausting all the channels to find out the real
situation. We have established direct connections with White
House officials and will keep our students informed.

     According to our sources in the White House, the adminis-
tration has been reviewing the bill. The bill has cleared a main
hurdle -- yesterday the bill was examined for quota-related issues 
by the Department of Justice and was approved this afternoon. It
is now reviewed by the Office of Budget and Management. This is
surely an encouraging sign -- it shows that the administration
is paying close attention to the bill.

     However, we cannot afford to sit down and relax. Time is
short. Congress has tentatively scheduled to adjourn on 
October 5. The bill is now definitely within the "pocket veto"
range. President Bush has never made public commitment to the
bill. We all know what happened in the House and in the Senate --
some time or some where the bill might get stuck. If that happens
this time, it would be too late to do anything and we can hardly
expect to see dramatical turn of events as we have seen in the
past two months.

     Right now, pressure is the most, perhaps the only, effective
method to prevent a "pocket veto." We have consulted with many
experienced and knowledgable people, all of them agreed that it
is the time to fully mobilize our resources and to put more
pressure on the Administration. 

     We urge CSS nation-wide to take immediate actions to generate
as much public interests and favorable atmosphere as possible. 
Our focus is on  those people who can talk to the President and
the President is willing to listen to them, like Bush's personal
friends, Republican senators who have voted with Bush on the issue
of MFN; Republican congressmen  who need Bush's help in their
re-elections; Governors and local campaign supporters whom Bush
heavily relies on for his reelection campaign. Contact those 
people, go talk to them, ask them to call President Bush urging
him to sign the bill. Call the newspapers, arrange interviews,
and send petitions to relevant offices.

     On the national level, the HQ has been paying exclusive 
attention to the campaign. Our instructions to several key
states have produced favorable effects. The first newspaper 
article we received is from Purdue's EXPONENT; Students in
Los Angeles have been interviewed by L.A. Times; In New York,
Senator D'Amato has promised to call President Bush. We have
also enlisted support from several influential figures who
are close both to the Administration and to the Capital Hill.
Senator Simpson will send a letter to the White House. We have
also requested a meeting with White House officials. But, as
we have been saying, our real strength lies in the 50,000 plus
Chinese students and scholars. Please keep up the efforts.

    A show of strong support for the protection bill among the 
Chinese students and the general American society will help
make the S1216 VETO-PROOF.

    During the weekend, please call HQ first. If not answered,
please call:

    Geng Xiao:      703-533-8459  
    He Baoping      703-243-7864
    Zhang Qingsong  703-243-7864
    Shi Heping      703-243-7157

***************************************************************
         IFCSS Headquarters Office    Signature
***************************************************************