Subject: IFCSS HQ NR-4050: News from White House

From: IFCSS HQ <ifcss>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1992 16:52:40 -0400

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4050       October 5, 1992
               NEWS FROM THE WHITE HOUSE
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

               News from the White House
               =========================

     This afternoon, several IFCSS delegates, including Xiao Geng,
IFCSS President, Baoping He, IFCSS Vice President, Haiqing Zhao,
Chairman of IFCSS Student Affairs Committee, Heping Shi, Chairman
of IFCSS Committee on Public Relations and Government Affairs, and
Yingquan Ji, student leader at University of Minnesota, went to the
White House to meet with two staff members of the Public Liaison
Office. The IFCSS delegates came directly to the point. Having
expressed their appreciation to President Bush for the protection
he granted to Chinese students back in 1990, they pointed out that
S1216 was a logical extension of the Executive Order and expressed
their hope that the president will sign the bill into law. The
White House officials responded that the bill had already cleared
the Justice Dept. and Office of Management and Budget and that to
their best knowledge the president would sign it. Asked when the
president would sign it, the officials answered that there was no
time-table for it. They added that they would not put in writing
what they said.

     The IFCSS delegates also discussed some other issues with the
White House officials, including the arrest of Shen Tong and two
other students. IFCSS President Xiao Geng presented the officials
with a package consisting a letter to President George Bush, an
open appeal for Shen Tong and his friends signed by over 70
schools,  a collection of examples illustrating the uncertainty the
Chinese students are facing, and an introduction to IFCSS. In
return, each IFCSS delegate was given a package introducing the
White House. Both sides expressed the wish to stay in touch.

     This is certainly a positive sign, but it is not the time to
rest on your laurels. While we wish to express our thanks to all of
you who have worked so hard to promote the bill, we do not see any
harm if the president gets a few more nudges from the senators and
governors whose names appeared in our previous news bulletins.

                               IFCSS Headquarters
                               IFCSS Student Affairs Committee

***************************************************************
         IFCSS Headquarters Office    Signature
***************************************************************