Subject: HQ NR-4058: IFCSS's New Email Distribution Systems (I): GDL

From: IFCSS HQ <ifcss>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1992 12:34:46 -0400

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4058      October 22, 1992
         IFCSS's NEW EMAIL COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS (I): GDL
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

         IFCSS's New Email Communication Systems (I)
             GDL: Group Distribution List

Dear IFCSS Members:

     We are sorry that some junk mails have been distributed to
some CSS networks in the past two days. The problem has been fixed.
Here is an explanation of what the human-net is and what had
happened.

     Since August 1, the HQ has been experimenting a new system of
distributing the IFCSS official news releases directly to local CSS
communities. The HQ collected some local CSS network addresses, and
in the past two months, has sent news releases to those networks.
This method has many advantages:

     1. The students do not need to reach IFCSS HQ or other
networks for news from the IFCSS. Once they hook up with the local
CSS networks, they can automatically receive news from IFCSS.

     2. The sign on/off process are done by local campus
coordinators. Therefore, the whole distribution list (managed by
IFCSS) will not be disturbed by sign on/off messages often found in
other networks.

     3. The IFCSS would ensure that no irrelevant messages would be
distributed to the list. The networks addresses are collected and
managed by the HQ which will send only official announcements to
the list.

     4. This system would benefit not only the IFCSS, but also
would enhance the communication at the local CSS level. More
students would be attracted to the local CSS networks, and the
IFCSS news would reach more and more local CSS.

     In the past two months, the HQ has collected over 15 local CSS
networks. The following universities have been added to the list:

       Arizona State University
       Boston University
       Carnegie-Mellon University
       Indiana University
       New Mexico Tech Univ.
       Ohio State University
       Oregon State University
       Stanford University
       Syracuse University
       University of Buffalo
       University of Florida
       University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign
       University of Maryland
       University of North Carolina
       University of Pennsylvania
       University of Southern California
       University of Virginia
       Virginia Tech
       Yale University

     In the past two months, students who have subscribed the email
CSS networks in above schools have received all Protection Bill
related news directly from the HQ.

     Because the machines purchased by IFCSS Community
Communication Committee have not been set up, the HQ used an old
network "HUMAN-NET" in the University of Virginia as the temporary
host for the distribution list. The Net was controlled by the HQ
and in the past two months, it worked perfectly until two days ago
when someone accidently posted a "moving sale" message to the net
which caused chain reactions. The HQ will implement a tight control
on the list so that it will only be used to distribute IFCSS
official announcements and irrelevant messages would have NO CHANCE
to appear in the net.

     This project, let us call it "Group Distribution List" (GDL),
is part of the plans of this term HQ to fundamentally reconstruct
the IFCSS computer communication systems. We will reveal other
plans soon.

     To make this project more successful, we hope to have the full
cooperation from local CSS organizations.

     1.  For those schools with local CSS networks: Please send the
address of your network to the HQ. We will guarantee that the list
will only be used for distributing IFCSS official announcements.

     2.  For those schools with no local email network: Please set-
up such a network and send us your new network address. We know
that some schools now have personal distribution list (alias file
maintained by the leader of CSS). That list cannot be used by
members of the school. It would be better to have a net (like
China-net) in which all CSS members can post and discuss issues.
The GDL system would also reduce the work load for local list
managers. (They do not need to forward mails from IFCSS).

     3.  For those who want to receive news from IFCSS directly,
please first consult your local CSS leaders if a network exist
among your local CSS and if the network has been added to the IFCSS
GDL system. Please join your local CSS networks, then you will be
able to read all IFCSS news and won't be bothered by the junk mails
again.

     4.  For those who have no access to local CSS networks, we
will have another system for you.

     5.  To establish local CSS networks:  It is a very easy
process. Just contact your local school computer manager, tell them
that you want to establish a "mailing list," give them a name for
the list. Then, follow the instructions from the managers.

     One of the goals of this term IFCSS is to improve the
communication between the IFCSS and the general CSS communities.
GDL is one of the major projects. We hope that we will have a full
support and cooperation from local CSS organizations.

     Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

*********************************************************************
*                 IFCSS Headquarters Office                         *
*                 =========================                         *
*                                                                   *
* President:      Geng Xiao  Assistant to the President: Shi Heping *
* Vice-President: He Baoping     Executive Director: Zhang Qingsong *
*                                                                   *
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
*IFCSS Stands for advancement of human rights and democracy in China*
*IFCSS protects the rights and interests of CSS in U.S. Your support*
*is vital to IFCSS's success. To donate: Please make checks payable *
*to "IFCSS" and send to:                                            *
*                                                                   *
*   "IFCSS, 733 15th St. N.W., Suite 440, Washington D.C., 20005"   *
*                                                                   *
*********************************************************************