Subject: IFCSS HQ NR-4062: IFCSS will Upgrade Email Networks

From: IFCSS HQ <ifcss>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1992 15:20:58 -0500

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4062     Novembere 4, 1992
          IFCSS'S NEW EMAIL COMMUNICATION SYSTEM
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

        IFCSS's New Email Communication System
        ======================================

                   -- An Overview

                   I. Introduction
                   ---------------

     Since the founding of IFCSS, email networks have been the
major means of communication connecting IFCSS with the Chinese
students and scholars nationwide. The contribution of email
networks to the success of IFCSS was best summarized by Senator
Simpson when he said in 1989: "No wonder the Chinese students are
so successful, they are the first foreign group using high tech
methods to lobby the Congress."

     However, the three year experience of IFCSS has also exposed
the weaknesses of the existing IFCSS email communication systems.
Up to the beginning of this term, no significant improvement has
been made to the aging IFCSS networks. In the fourth Congress, the
delegates made a strong appeal that IFCSS must strengthen the ties
with local CSS communities and improve the communication between
IFCSS offices and the grassroots organizations.

     In the first quarter of this term, the HQ has implemented
several changes. The most obvious change was the use of CCNL-net
which has played a significant role in the passage of '92 Chinese
student protection act. The HQ has made plans which would
fundamentally reorganize the IFCSS email communications systems.
What presented below is the overall plan of the new IFCSS networks.
Input and cooperation from the CSS nationwide are welcome.

                   II.  The Existing Systems
                        --------------------
                        -- A Brief Review

     In 1989, an email network entitled "China-net" was established
which has since been used as the major coordination network for
IFCSS. At that time, each school was allowed to have two local
coordinators who can subscribe the China-net. Posting privileges
were limited to the coordinators and other authorized persons. The
coordinators were responsible for forwarding the news to local
school networks.

     In order to increase the subscription of China-net thus
expanding its influence, the restrictions on subscription and
posting were lifted for China-net in 1990. Since then, any one can
subscribe and post to the net. The net has been managed by a
voluntary management group.

     In the past three years, China-net management board and local
coordinators have done an excellent job in providing a reliable
channel of communication for IFCSS and the general CSS communities.
However, structural limitations has prevented the development of
China-net (last years attempts to reform the net failed to bring
about any change). Also, facing the growing demand and diverse
interests, China-net along can no longer satisfy the need.

     Based on above observations, a new email communication system
for IFCSS is in urgent demand.

                   III.  Objectives
                   ----------------

     The new IFCSS email communication systems have the following
objectives:

     * Broader Coverage:   The existing China-net has only several
hundred subscribers, thus the majority of CSS get their knowledge
about IFCSS from second-hand sources. It is our hope that in the
new system, the majority of CSS will have first hand news from
IFCSS. Our minimum goal is to have at least 10,000 CSS covered by
the IFCSS email broadcasting systems.

     * Direct Connection:  The new system would send IFCSS official
news and official announcements directly to CSS nationwide.

     * Multi-dimensional:  To change the one-dimensional net to a
group of networks which would serve different purposes and satisfy
diverse interests.

                    IV.  General Structure
                    ----------------------

     The new email communication system will be divided into
several groups according to their functions:

     Group A.  Discussion Forum:

                 --  China-net.

     Group B.  Broadcasting System:

                 -- GDL:  Group Distribution List
                 -- PBS:  Personal Broadcasting System
                 -- Newsletter: Email IFCSS Newsletter (Chinese)

     Group C.  IFCSS Working Net:

                 -- Council-net: owned and maintained by Council
                 -- IFCSS-L: for CSS community leaders
                 -- Net for working committees
                 -- Community Information Net (CCNL) Currently used
                        for protection

     Group D.  Temporary Net:
                 To be set up according to need

                    V.  Descriptions of the networks
                    --------------------------------

1.  China-net:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    We suggest to keep China-net as a free forum for the general
CSS community. Subscription is open. Posting is not restricted to
subscribers only (of course the netters have to follow certain
etiquette as defined by the management board).

2.  IFCSS-GDL:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    GDL stands for Group Distribution List. The HQ request for the
email network ids of local CSS organizations and put them into the
HQ mailing list. IFCSS will send official announcements to the list
so that local CSS community may read IFCSS news directly from their
local networks. (See IFCSS HQ NR-4058). Human-net in the University
of Virginia is the temporary host for the list.

    So far, more that 23 schools have been added to the list
covering more than 8,000 students. Some schools are in the process
of establishing local CSS networks. Please contact the HQ for more
information on this list.

3.  IFCSS-PBS:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    PBS stands for Personal Broadcasting System. People who are not
able to connect to local CSS networks (to be included in the GDL)
system may request to have their address added to the PBS list so
that they can receive directly IFCSS news and announcements.

    The list has not been set up and the subscription method has
not been determined. Stay tuned for further instructions.

4.  IFCSS Newsletter in Email:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    IFCSS Newsletter (in Chinese) will be distributed through
email.

5.  Council Net:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Working net of IFCSS council. Subscription open. Posting
privileges limited to IFCSS Council members and IFCSS HQ and
working committees.

6.  IFCSS-L:
^^^^^^^^^^^^

    A net reserved for local CSS president and CSS campus
coordinators. Subscription limited to two persons in each school or
organization, one for the President and another for school
coordinator. Add/Drop through the HQ. Posting privileges reserved
for subscribers only.

    The net is set up for establishing a direct connection between
IFCSS HQ and local CSS community leaders. Local CSS leaders may
also use the net to announce activities and share thoughts  with
other leaders.

    The net has been set up with the help of Mr. Zhang Hong at the
University of Louisville. The HQ will start to add people to the
list.

7.  Lobby-net:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    CCNL net has been used as the S1216 lobbying net. We will
decide later whether we need to establish a new net for this
purpose.

8.  Net for Working Committees:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    It is feasible now to set up networks for IFCSS working
committees since the Community Information Committee has purchased
a computer and networking would be much easier.

9.  Temporary Networks:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    To be set up when situation warrants.

                    VI.  Information Package
                    ------------------------

    We will post detailed information about these networks in the
coming weeks.

    An information package about the IFCSS email communication
system will be compiled and stored in relevant information
databases.

    Comments and suggestions are welcome.

*********************************************************************
*                 IFCSS Headquarters Office                         *
*                 =========================                         *
*                                                                   *
* President:      Geng Xiao  Assistant to the President: Shi Heping *
* Vice-President: He Baoping     Executive Director: Zhang Qingsong *
*                                                                   *
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
*IFCSS Stands for advancement of human rights and democracy in China*
*IFCSS protects the rights and interests of CSS in U.S. Your support*
*is vital to IFCSS's success. To donate: Please make checks payable *
*to "IFCSS" and send to:                                            *
*                                                                   *
*   "IFCSS, 733 15th St. N.W., Suite 440, Washington D.C., 20005"   *
*                                                                   *
*********************************************************************