Subject: A Chinese Family Detained in Seattle Airport... (IFCSS HQ NR-4098)

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1993 17:17:06 -0500

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4098     February 12, 1993
        A CHINESE FAMILY DETAINED IN SEATTLE AIRPORT ...
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

        A Chinese Family Detained in Seattle Airport ...
        ================================================

Dear IFCSS Members:

     Please read the following report carefully so that you
will remember how to react properly when similar incident
happen to you or your friends.

      On Feb. 3, 1993, a Chinese woman with her 6-year-old son
arrived in Seattle Airport with proper documents and valid visas.
She came to the U.S. to join her hasband, Mr. Yang, a Chinese
student covered by President Bush's Executive Order. The INS
inspector however denied her admission on the ground that she
held a B-2 visa but had no return tickets and that she had too
many luggages, a signal of "immigration intent". Mr. Yang made it
clear to the INS officers that he is covered by the Executive
Order and that the State Department has a cable instructing
consular officers to give a "sympathetic review" to family
reunion cases. INS officers insisted, however, that they do
not take orders from the Department of State. INS officers
gave Mrs. Yang two choices: 1. voluntary departure (immediately
return to China) or 2. ask for a court hearing. Mrs Yang
took the second choice and they were detained in the airport.
The next morning, INS tried to move Mrs. Yang and her son
to San Diego. Mr. Yang arrived and defeated this attempt.

      Mr. Yang called IFCSS HQ. After hearing this case, the
HQ immediately contacted the INS Headquarters, the State
Department and IFCSS legal advisers. We talked to State 
Department China Desk officers who gave their advice. IFCSS
legal adviser Eleanor Pelta called INS Seattle District
Director who promised to investigate this incident. IFCSS
lawyer Laura Reiff called the INS Inspector at the Seattle
Airport. Senator Gorton, after hearing this incident, also
sent a letter to INS district director asking him to release
the Yang family. On the second day, the Yang family was
released on bond.

      Mr. Yang learned from security guard at the airport
that this is the fourth case in two weeks. All three previous
families have been returned to China. Mr. Yang said that he is
lucky that his family was not returned to China due to the
intervention by Senator Gordon, IFCSS HQ, the lawyers and his
friends. (see report in World Daily, Feb. 9, 1993)

      A lesson from this incident: next time you need help,
remember to contact IFCSS.

      Thanks.

*********************************************************************
*                 IFCSS Headquarters Office                         *
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *
* You may add your local CSS email network to IFCSS's broadcasting  *
* system. For details, contact IFCSS HQ at [email-masked]        *
*********************************************************************