Subject: IFCSS 5th Congress: A Preliminary Program (IFCSS HQ NR-4121)

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1993 13:56:33 -0400

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4121        April 15, 1993
        A PRELIMINARY PROGRAM OF IFCSS 5TH CONGRESS
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

Dear fellow Chinese students and scholars nationwide:

The following is the preliminary program of IFCSS 5th Congress.
Please help us spread the information and send in your registration
as early as possible.

Thanks for your attention.

------------------------------------------------------------------

                      IFCSS 5th Congress
                   (A Preliminary Program)

1. Introduction
---------------

     As more and more students are entering and graduating from
American universities, the Chinese students/scholars in the United
States have become an influential social group. As time goes by,
this group will play an increasingly important role in the national
affairs of China and the U.S. as well as in the Sino-American
relations. Since its foundation in 1989, the Independent Federation
of Chinese Students and Scholars have successfully represented the
CSS community and made our influence felt in both China and the
United States. The 5th IFCSS Congress would present an opportunity
to further strengthen the ties between IFCSS and its constituents
and unify the general CSS community to work for our common goals.

     In the past several years, IFCSS Congresses have generated
proposals which later led to significant events and affected the
lives of thousands of CSS and their families. The Congress is in
deed an opportunity for the CSS, through their delegates, to
express their views, interests, desires or concerns and elect those
whom they believe would fulfill their wills to the leading
positions. What happened in the Congress may well determine the
course and performance of IFCSS for the ensuing year.

     In the 4th teleconference of IFCSS Council on April 3, the
Council approved a proposal submitted by the IFCSS HQ to hold the
5th Congress in July 1993.

2.   When:
---------

     The 5th Congress has been scheduled for July 2-5, 1993. July
                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
4 is Sunday and also the Independence Day. Usually Monday July 5 is
regarded as a holiday. Check-in on July 1, from 12:00 noon-2:00 am.
                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

3.   Location:
--------------

     University of Kentucky at Lexington, Kentucky.
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     The HQ examined 6 proposals submitted by local CSS
organizations. After comparing all the factors, geographic
location, cost, facility, etc., UK at Lexington becomes the best
choice.

4.   Eligibility:
----------------

     Every local CSS organizations having ten members or more may
send one to two delegates to the Congress. Each organization will
have one vote.

     Number of observers are not limited. The observers have to
register and pay the registration fees and pay their own travelling
expenses.

5.   Agenda:
-----------

     *    Review the work of 4th Term HQ, Council, SVC and Working
          Committees
     *    Revise IFCSS Charter and Bylaws and consider resolutions
     *    Elect the leading body of 5th term IFCSS

6.   Other points of Interest:
-------------------------------

     The following activities have been planned for the Congress:

     *  A tour of a national park in Central Kentucky has been
planned which would allow delegates more time to know each other
and to talk about the work and future of IFCSS.

     *  A panel discussion to explore the ways to help the CSS to
create and manage their own business.

     *  Workshop on Student Protection Act hosted by INS officials
and IFCSS legal advisers.

     *  Panel discussion on Sino-American Relations, to invite
speakers from Chinese Embassy, U.S. State Department, U.S.
Congress, scholars from Taiwan and representatives from some
influential organizations.

7.   Travel Subsidy:
-------------------

     Each school/organization will have one delegate entitled to
travel subsidy in the scale listed below:

By driving:          appromaximately 10 cents per mile

By airplane:         within 500 miles:   Maximum $100
                     500-1,000 miles :   Maximum $200
                   1,000 miles and up:   Maximum $300
                    Hawaii and Alaska:   Maximum $500

     In order to reduce the costs, we encourage the local CSS
organizations and delegates to do the following to help cut down
travel expenses:

     * Apply for student activity fund from your school
     * Plan early and buy airline ticket at its discount rate
     * Use your American Express Card (if you have) to buy the low
priced ticket.
     * Share the ride with other delegates
     * The major airlines usually will reduce airfares in May.
Campare the prices and buy the cheapest one.

7. Accommodation
================

    Participants will stay in the B Tower (student dormitory) which
is the tallest building in Lexington, air-conditioned and linens
provided. Three meals a day will be provided. (A registration fee
of $65 is required to offset partially the meals and rooms).

8. Registration and Pre-registration:
====================================

     The HQ now has begun to accept pre-registrations. Please fill
out the application forms and return them to the HQ. Early
registration would allow you to receive information about the
Congress before you arrive at Lexington. We will reach out to
extend the invitation to the general CSS community. Your help of
any kind will be sincerely appreciated.

     Any questions and comments, please contact the HQ at 
(202)347-0017.

**************************************************************
       IFCSS 5th Congress (July 1993) Registration Form
**************************************************************
            
                 (For  Delegates)

Name: (Chinese)________ (English)Last______ First _____________

Phone (____)____-_____(H), (____)____-_____(O) Sex: M / F

Email________________________________________________________

Mailing Address:  ___________________________________________

______________________________________________________________

School:  _____________________________________________________

Distance between your school and Lexington, Kentucky ______ miles

Arrive by Means of: __________________________________________  

Organization:  ________________________________________________

No of Membership _______

Name of Current Leader ____________________ Title______________

Phone of the Leader____ ____ _____ (H) _____ _____ _______(O)

Mailing Address: ______________________________________________

_______________________________________________________________

Signature of the Leader  __________________ Date ______________

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Do not Write in this section, Congress Secretariat use only:

Fee ______  Travel Sub. ________ Room _______  Delegate No ____
****************************************************************

The form below is for OBSERVERS ONLY

*****************************************************************
       IFCSS 5th Congress (July 1993) Registration Form
*****************************************************************
            
                 (For  Observers)

Name: (Chinese)________ (English)Last______ First _____________

Phone (____)____-_____(H), (____)____-_____(O) Sex: M / F

Email__________________________________________________________

Mailing Address:  _____________________________________________

_______________________________________________________________

Affiliation:  _________________________________________________

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Do not Write in this section, for congress secretariat use only:

Fee ______                         Room _______ 
****************************************************************

*********************************************************************
*                 IFCSS Headquarters Office                         *
*-------------------------------------------------------------------*
* To get IFCSS Health Insurance brochures, please call 1-800-394-2500
* For information about IFCSS sponsored long distance telephone     *
* service, please call 1-800-7ifcss5 or 1-800-843-6678              *
*********************************************************************