Subject: June 4 Activity and Joint Meeting Reports, Pt.1 (IFCSS HQ NR-4138)

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1993 23:39:06 -0400

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4138         June 12, 1993
    JUNE 4 ACTIVITY AND JOINT MEETING REPORTS, PART 1
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
                 Report on IFCSS 1993 Joint Conference
                           June 4-5, 1993    
                           Washington D.C.
                                
                              Part One
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear IFCSS members:

Following are reports on the 1993 IFCSS Joint Conference held on June 4,
and June 5, 1993, in Washington D.C.  The reports are combined by:

      Jinghong Li (signed)         Zhengdong Liu (signed)   
      IFCSS Council Chairman       IFCSS SVC Secretary 

      Qingsong Zhang (signed)      Yi Xu (signed)
      IFCSS Executive Director     IFCSS Council CDA Chairman

June 12, 1993

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.  Participants List ................................................ 86
2.  General Report on the Joint Conference ...........................100
3.  June 4 Anniversary Memorial Services ............................. 11
4.  Minutes of Council Session ....................................... 24
5.  Task Force for IFCSS 5th Congress Preparation Established ........ 12
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.  Participants List ................................................ 86
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Voting Participants (total 38)

IFCSS Council Members:

               Dong, Liqun          Northwest
               Fan, Hongran         Southeast
               Huang, Songyun       Pacific
               Hwang, Kai           Mid-Atlantic
               Li, Gang             Southeast
               Li, Jinghong         Mid-west
               Li, Wenyan           Southwest
               Liu, Yuhe            Mid-Atlantic
               Qi, Yenong           Northwest
               Qian, Jianjun        Southwest
               Xu, Bing             East
               Xu, Yi               Northeast

               Absent:              Li, Chenjian         Mid-west
                                    Tang, Jianxin        Northeast

IFCSS Supervisory Committee Members:

               Liu, Zhengdong 
               Luo, Lishi
               Lu, Chengdong
               Zhao, Yue 
               
               Absent:             Pang, Yang  

IFCSS HQ Members:

               Geng, Xiao          IFCSS President
               He, Boping          IFCSS Vice President
               Shi, Heping         Assistant to IFCSS President
               Zhang, Qingsong     IFCSS Executive Director

               Absent:             Jiang, Zuihong, IFCSS Treasurer

Former IFCSS Officers:

               Liu, Yongchuan      President, First Term
               Chen, Xinyu         President, Second Term
               Zhao, Haiqing       President, Third Term
               Chen, Shizhong      Vice President, Second Term
               Lai, Anzhi          Council Coordinator, Second Term
               Huang, Guyang       SVC Coordinator, Second Term
               Li, Ping            SVC Coordinator, Third Term

IFCSS Working Committee Chairpersons:

               Ding, Jian          Communication Committee
               Gao, Hong           Student Service Committee
               Lin, Changshen      Theoretical Study Committee
               Wang, Jianan        IFCSS Newsletter Chief Editor
               Xiao, Qiang         Human Rights Committee
               Zhang, Yalai        Humanitarian Assistance Committee

IFCSS Document Amendments Draft Committee Members:

               Luo, Ning           (second & third term SVC member)
               Sun, Shaojian       (third term Council member)
               
IFCSS Theoretical Study Committee Members:
               
               Liu, Xiaozhu
               Wang, Yanbin 
               Wu, Tao             (third term Council member)

----

Non-Voting Participants 

Invited Special Guests:

               Chen, Yizi          89 TAM Movement Activist
               Chai, Ling          89 TAM Movement Student Leader
               Zhang, Boli         89 TAM Movement Student Leader
               Zhou, Yongjun       89 TAM Movement Student Leader

Other Guests and Observers Include:

               Feng, Congde        89 TAM Movement Student Leader
               Xu, Bangtai         President of MLZ
               Yu, Maochun         Chief Editor of China Forum
               Zhou, Duo           89 TAM Movement Activist

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.  General Report on the Joint Conference ...........................100
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Joint Conference of IFCSS with conjunction of the 4th Anniversary of
June 4 TAM Massacre was held on June 4-5, 1993, in Washington D.C. A 
total of 42 formal participants attended the conference.  

-- The First Day - Overseas Chinese Student Movement

The conference had two parts.  On June 4, the memorial day of June 4
TAM Massacre, the conference was focused on overseas Chinese Student
movements.  

The discussion was called to order by IFCSS Theoretical Study Committee
Chairman Lin Changshen.  Invited special guests Chai Ling, Zhang Boli, 
Chen Yizhi and Zhou Yongjun recalled their involvements and studies on the 
1989 TAM democratic movement. Chai Ling introduced a statement made a day
earlier by a group of exiled dissidents which calls upon the Chinese 
government to allow them to go home with smile and dignity.

Members of IFCSS Theoretical Study Committee, Liu Xiaozhu, Wu Tao, 
Wang Yanbin and Lin Changshen, analyzed the history and present of the
overseas Chinese student movement from a variety of angles.  They also 
discussed the strategies for IFCSS to adjust itself for the dramatically
changing environment.

Other participants also joined the discussion.  Many good analysis and
suggestions were presented.  Detailed information can be obtained 
by contacting those speakers.

-- June 4 Anniversary Memorial Services

In the evening of June 4, 1993, all participants of the Joint Conference
attended the Candle-Light Vigil in commemoration of June 4 Anniversary.

For detail please refer to item 3.

-- 1993 IFCSS Joint Working Conference

On June 5, 1993, 9:40am, the IFCSS Joint Working Conference was called 
to order by Council Chairman Jinghong Li.  Thirty Eight (38) voting
participants and other non-voting guests attended.  A Council quorum
was present.  

1. Working Reports

On the second day of the conference, the topics were turned to IFCSS related
business.  After the adoption of conference Rules of Order, each of the 
three working branches (SVC, Council and HQ) reported to the meeting
on their works during the past year.

SVC Coordinator Lishi Luo summarized the works of the SVC.  He introduced
the cases, which were brought to SVC's attention in this term, and their 
process results.  He and other SVC members also answered related questions.

Council Chairman Jinghong Li reported on this term council's work.  He
recalled the difficult situation faced by this almost-totally-new Council 
at the beginning.  With the cooperations and hard working by whole body, 
this term Council has learned and achieved a lot.  Mr. Li pointed that
the success was also due to previous IFCSS terms efforts.  Looking into 
the future development of Council works, cooperations among Council
colleagues, other working branches and local schools were cited as 
critical areas. 

Then, Council subcommittee Chairperson, Liu Yuhe, Li Wenyan and Xu Yi,
added some detailed information respectively.  Other participants also
raised sereal points to be added into the final Council report.

IFCSS President Geng Xiao followed with a thorough discussion of the works
done by the Headquarters.  His written report is more than 10,000 Chinese
words long.  Some working committee Chairpersons also reported on specific 
areas. Meeting participants raise questions and added more information. 

The three working branches will revise their report and present their
final version to the upcoming Congress for approval.

2. Council Session - please refer to the next item.

3. Recommendations on IFCSS Constitution and Bylaw Amendments

Required by a 4th Congress Resolution, one of the main tasks for this 
term Council was to organize the drafting of IFCSS Documents Amendments.
Council Rules Committee Chairman Xu Yi led a committee (CDA) which 
presented to the conference its second version of the recommendations.
The conference debated the drafts item by item, and voted to accept
some of them as the recommendation of this confernece to the 5th 
Congress.  Please refer to item 6 for detailed information.

After about 15 hours long meeting, the IFCSS Joint Working Conference 
adjourned at 0:30am, June 6, 1993.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
3.  June 4 Anniversary Memorial Services ............................. 11
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the evening of June 4, 1993, all participants of the Joint Conference
attended the Candle-Light Vigil held in "TianAnMen Square", a small park 
named in commemoration of June 4, 1989, which is located in front of the 
PRC Embassy.  The event was jointly organized by IFCSS and other D.C. based
organizations.   

About 300 people were present.  People held candles and sang songs in 
the rain.  Two 60" TVs relived those heart breaking days and nights 
four years ago.  Many TV stations and Newspapers reported the three hour 
long memorial services.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
4.  Minutes of Council Session ....................................... 24
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The IFCSS Council held a special session during the Joint Conference to 
discuss IFCSS related issues.  Fourteen of the sixteen Council members 
participated, a quorum was present.  The session was chaired by Mr. Luo 
Lishi.  Council member Miss Fan Hongran acted as meeting Secretary.  This 
Council session lasted about two and half hours.  Council members and 
other participants debated on motions raised before proposing deadline.
The Council then voted to adopt three principle motions.  They are, 

(1) Resolution on promoting Nobel Peace Prize for Mr. Wei Jingsheng, it 
states that IFCSS shall cooperate with other organizations in the common 
effort to win the 1994 Nobel Peace Prize for Mr. Wei Jingsheng

(2) Resolution on IFCSS HQ staff salary inflation adjustment, it authorizes
the President of IFCSS to make a one time salary adjustment for HQ staff.

(3) Resolution on Establishing Task Force for 5th Congress Preparation, 
a special Task Force for IFCSS 5th Congress preparation is formed to handle
daily works before the congress.  See item 4 for details on the Task Force.

The full text and voting records of adopted resolutions are included in 
item 5.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
5.  Task Force for IFCSS 5th Congress Preparation Established ........ 12
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

As instructed by Council Resolution CR4020, a Task Force for IFCSS 5th 
Congress Preparation has been established.  The five members are:

                Geng, Xiao     Coordinator, IFCSS President
                Li, Jinghong   Member,      Council Chairman 
                Luo, Lishi     Member,      SVC Coordinator
                Mu, Liyue      Member,      Council Member
                               Member,      Host School Representative

The Task Force members will discuss and make decisions on Congress 
preparation related matter on a timely basis.  If you have any questions, 
or suggestions concerning the 5th Congress, please feel free to contact
the members of the Task Force.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
                         End of Part One
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be continued