Subject: HQ708

From: [email-masked] (ifcss)
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 95 05:22:06 GMT

&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=
HEADQUARTERS NEWSRELEASE * HEADQUARTERS NEWSRELEASE * HEADQUARTERS NEWSREL
&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^

           *  *  *    N E W S   R E L E A S E   7008   *  *  *
                    _________   July 30, 1995  __________

   [[[[[[  [[[[[[[[[[    [[[[[[       [[[[[[[      [[[[[[[         ______
    [[[     [[[        [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[    _________
    [[[     [[[       [[[          [[[          [[[
   [[[     [[[[[[[[  [[[            [[[[[        [[[[[
   [[[     [[[       [[[               [[[[[        [[[[[    ______
  [[[     [[[        [[[                  [[[          [[[  ____
  [[[     [[[         [[[    [[[  [[[[   [[[   [[[[   [[[
[[[[[[  [[[[[[         [[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[

&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^
IFCSS Foundation, Inc. 733 15th Street, NW  Suite 440 Washington, DC 20005
            Tel: (202) 347-0017              Fax: (202) 347-0018
&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=

1. Update Information of House Bill H.R.1915 

Since the mark-up of the House bill H.R.1915  started  on July  11,  the 
Judiciary Immigration Subcommittee  completed  this  process  on July 20
after several late night debates and negotiations.

There was a widespread panic in D.C. that the Bill would be sent to Full
Judiciary Committee for voting before the upcoming  congressional recess
because Lamar Smith, who brought this bill into the House  demanded that 
the bill be voted within one week before the recess.

IFCSS President Xing Zheng expressed great appreciation to several major
lobby group leaders  over  phone conversation yesterday. Due to vigorous 
lobby both in Capitol Hill and in the  States,  the  Chair  of Judiciary 
Committee, Mr. Henry Hyde of Illinois, has been pushed to agree that the 
mark-up of the bill at the Full Judiciary Committee, will  be  postponed 
until early September. Therefore, more time  has been left  for national 
campaign at all levels throughout the congressional recess.

Since  the IFCSS Headquarters (HQ) announced  the  decision  to organize 
and coordinate nationwide  campaign for lobbying legislators in Congress,   
the HQ has received  numerous inquiry,  suggestion,  support  from  many
concerned  individuals.  The HQ  is  also very  pleased  to see  several
organizations/groups from Chinese student and scholars  (CSS)  community   
have  joined  in  current  campaign. In  order  to  fully  mobilize  re-
sources and the grassroots CSS, the  HQ pleads for cooperation  and  co-
ordinated actions  in  the  future for the common cause. The  IFCSS Task  
Forse is also seeking wide cooperation with other national organizations. 

2. The IFCSS H.R.1915 Task Force did extensive study in the past week to 
compile  the information of comparison of current bill and the amendment 
in Smith bill H.R.1915. We present  a partial list of the  results which  
may  impose  the  working  and  immigration  opportunities  of   Chinese  
students  and  scholars  for  your  reference. For detailed information,  
please contact the IFCSS Headquarters.

3. The IFCSS H.R.1915 Task Force Lobby Agenda

The  IFCSS  H.R.1915 Task Force has taken actions in the past two weeks, 
and joined in certain major lobbying  groups in the  Capitol Hill.  The 
IFCSS Task  Force  appeals  to  all CSS  nationwide  to take  immediate  
actions by joining in the coordinated campaign.The campaign strategists 
point out that it might be rather difficult to totally block Smith Bill 
H.R.1915, because of the  growing national  emotion against immigration 
from the top down to the earth nowadays in this country,and approaching  
to the election year. However, the vigorous and effective lobby will be  
very  likely  to  show the  legislators  our grave  concern and dismay, 
therefore, this bill could eventually evolve healthier and  be improved  
during its process of mark-up.  Thus, no matter how stern the situation 
will be, we  have no reason to giveup at any stage.

The following is IFCSS Task Force's agenda and suggestion:

(1). Send  your letters  or  make  phone   calls  to representatives at 
Judiciary Committee of your district.  The phone  numbers of their D.C. 
offic and District's offices are listed at the end of this news release. 
(Sample letters will be available in the following news releases or you 
may contact the HQ).
(2). Send your letters or make  phone calls to local news media, to ex-
press your concern;
(3). Send your letters or make phone calls to the employment department 
or   personnel office if you are working for a company, especially when 
your company is hiring a substantial proportion of foreign employees.
(4). The IFCSS  HQ is  planing   on-site   lobby  in   Capitol Hill  in  
early  September.    
(5). The IFCSS HQ is planing a "National Lobby  Day" in early September;  
we appeal  to all members to participate (detail will be released later).
(6). The IFCSS  HQ  is  establishing  a  partnership  with the   general  
legal counsel for lobbying corporations;

4. Comparison of Current Immigration Law and the Law  Amended  by House 
   Bill H.R.1915

Notes:  (C): Current Law
        (S): Amended in Smith Bill H.R.1915

                         Total Immigration
(C). More than 800,000/year including refugees.
(S). 535,000 for family-sponsored, employment based, and humanitarian 
     immigrants, plus 50,000 backlog relative immigrants in transition 
     period, bringing total to 585,000.
                                                     
                         Immigrant Workers
(C). Employers may petition for up to 40,000 priority workers and 80,000
     non-priority workers per year.
(S). Employers may petition for up to 15,000 highly skilled workers, 
     60,000 very highly skilled workers, 45,000 professional and skilled
     workers, 10,000 investors, and 5,000 special immigrants. 
     No unskilled workers.

                         Relative Petitions
(C). U.S.citizens may petition for their minor and adult children, 
     spouses, parents, and siblings. Legal remnant residents may 
     petition for their spouses, minor children and adult unmarried 
     children.
(S). Emphasizes the  nuclear  family.   US. citizens may petition for 
     their minor children, spouses, and parents. Legal permanent residents
     may petition for their spouses and unmarried children.

                 Level of Family-Sponsored Immigrants
(C). Annual admissions limited to greater of (a) 480,000 or (b) immediate 
     relatives of  US. citizens plus 226,000 other. This is  peaceable 
     cap which actually leaves immediate relative immigrants unlimited.
(S). No numerical limit on admission o spouses and children of US.
     citizens. Total number of family sponsored immigrants not to exceed
     330,000 per year. In addition, allows for 50,000 relatives of 
     legal permanent residents to reduce the backlog.

                    Employment Verification System
(C). None. Employer keeps copy of I-9.
(S). Pilot program is five of seven states to test system off confirmation
     of worker eligibility through telephone or electronic process.

                             Sponsorship
(C). Affidavit of support is only a moral obligation.
(S). Affidavits of support by sponsors would be legally enforceable.

                       Public Charge Definition:
(C). Not defined.
(S). An alien would be deemed a public charge and deportable if the alien
     received public assistance for an aggregate of 12 months within 7 years
     of entry or admission.

           Exclusion of Immigrants Suspected of Public Charge
(C). Unenforceable financial guarantee from sponsor. At the time of
     application, consular officer must conclude alien is "likely" to become
     a public charge.
(S). Any alien who cannot show at the time of entry that they are unlikely to
     become a public charge are inadmissible.

                          "SAVE" Program
(C). States must verify eligibility of alien applicants for certain federally
     funded benefits.
(S). Sponsor's income and resources are applied to the aliens for eligibility
     for means-tested public benefits program. Sponsor's affidavit of
     support is legally enforceable as a contract.

                    Penalties for Not Leaving 
(C). Failure to leave after a final deportation order is a felony with prison
     sentence of not more than four years.
(S). In addition to the penalties specified in current law, an alien shall pay
     a civil penalty of not more than $500 a day for each day the alien
     is in violation of the deportation order.

                            Visa Fraud
(C). Alien is subject to up to five years incarceration.
(S). Alien is subject to up to ten years incarceration.

                Privilege of Re-Entry after Deportation
(C). Aliens who have been deported may not reenter for five years.
(S). Aliens who have been deported may not reenter for ten years.

               Loss of Opportunity to Obtain Legal Status
(C). After deportation must wait five years.
(S). Loss opportunity for ten years after illegal entry.

5. Information on 35 members of House Judiciary Committee (if you
need any more information  which is  not listed  below, please contact 
the IFCSS HQ at: 202 347 0017)

Republicans (20)          D.C. Offices         Fax            District
2138 RHOB                 202 225 3951      202 225 7682      

Henry Hyde  (Chair), IL   202 225 4561       202 225 1166    708 832 5950
Carlos Moorhead, CA       202 225 4176       202 226 1279    818 792 6168    
Jim Sensenbrenner, WI     202 225 5101       202 225 3190    414 784 1111
Bill McCollum, FL         202 225 2176       202 225 0999    407 872 1962
George Gekas, PA          202 225 4315       202 225 9440    717 541 5507, 
                                                             717 367 6731, 
                                                             717 273 1451
Howard Coble, NC          202 225 3065       202 225 8611    910 229 0159, 
                                                             910 626 3060, 
                                                             910 333 5005, 
                                                             704 246 8230
Lamar Smith, TX           202 225 4236       202 225 8628    512 895 1414, 
                                                             210 821 5024, 
                                                             915 653 3971, 
                                                             512 218 4221
Steven Schiff, NM         202 225 6316       202 225 4975    505 766 2538
Elton Gallegly, CA        202 225 5811       202 225 1100    805 485 2300    
Charles Canady, FL        202 225 1252       202 225 2279    813 688 2651
Bob Inglis, SC            202 225 6030       202 226 1177    803 427 2205,
                                                             803 582 6422, 
                                                             803 232 1141
Bob Goodlatte, VA         202 225 5431       202 225 9681    703 857 2672, 
                                                             703 885 3861, 
                                                             703 432 2391, 
                                                             804 845 8306
Steve Buyer, IN           202 225 5037                       314 454 7551, 
                                                             219 583 9819
Martin Hoke, OH           202 225 5871       202 226 0994    216 356 2010
Sonny Bobo, CA            202 225 5330       202 225 2961    619 320 1076
Fred Heineman, NC         202 225 1784       202 225 3269    919 571 4661
Ed Bryant, TN             202 225 2811       202 225 2814    901 382 5811, 
                                                             615 503 0391    
Steve Chabot, OH          202 225 2216       202 225 3012    513 684 2723
Michael Flanagan, IL      202 225 4061       202 225 3128    312 588 2288
Bob Barr, GA              202 225 2931       202 225 2944    404 429 1776, 
                                                             706 290 1776, 
                                                             404 836 1776, 
                                                             706 812 1776

Democrats: (15)
B351C RHOB:               202 225 6906

John Conyers, MI          202 225 5126       202 225 0072    313 961 5670
Patricia Schroeder, CO    202 225 4431       202 225 5842    303 866 1230
Barney Frank, MA          202 225 5931       202 225 0182    508 674 3551, 
                                                             617 332 3920, 
                                                             508 999 6462,
                                                             508 697 9403    
Charles Schumer, NY       202 225 6616       202 225 4183    718 627 9700
Howard Berman, CA         202 225 4695       202 225 5279    818 891 0543
Rick Boucher, VA          202 225 3861       202 225 0442    703 980 4310, 
                                                             703 628 1145, 
                                                             703 523 5450
John Bryant, TX           202 225 2231       202 225 0327    214 767 6554
Jack Reed, RI             202 225 2735       202 225 9580    401 943 3100
Jerrold  Nadler, NY       202 225 5635       202 225 6923    212 489 3530,
                                                             718 373 3198
Robert Scott, VA          202 225 8351       202 225 8354    804 380 1000, 
                                                             804 644 4845
Melvin Watt, NC           202 225 1510       202 225 1512    704 344 9950, 
                                                             910 379 9403, 
                                                             919 688 3004
Xavier Becerra, CA       202 225 6235       202 225 2202     213 550 8962
Jose Serrano, NY         202 225 4361       202 225 6001     718 538 5400
Zoe Lofgren, CA          202 225 3072       202 225 3336     408 271 8700
Sheila Jackson Lee, TX   202 225 3816       202 225 3317     713 655 0050

Note: Due to unexpected and unpaid huge amount phone bill, the long distance
phone line at the IFCSS HQ office was cut off by MCI.  You still can call the
HQ office but we will be unable to return the call before the service is
resumed.  We apologize for any inconvenience it may cause.
*********************************************************************
* PBS-L is IFCSS's news distribution list for individuals. To sign  *
* on or off from the list, please send email to [email-masked]  *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:             *
*    (For signing on)      sub PBS-L last name first name           *
*    (For signing off)     unsub PBS-L last name first name         *
* For more information about IFCSS, write to [email-masked]   *
*********************************************************************