Subject: HQ NR #9512: Update Info on Congress Bills

From: [email-masked] (ifcss)
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 95 18:13:05 GMT

&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=
HEADQUARTERS NEWSRELEASE * HEADQUARTERS NEWSRELEASE * HEADQUARTERS NEWSREL
&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^

           *  *  *    N E W S   R E L E A S E   7012   *  *  *
                    _________  August 5, 1995  __________

   [[[[[[  [[[[[[[[[[    [[[[[[       [[[[[[[      [[[[[[[         ______
    [[[     [[[        [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[    _________
    [[[     [[[       [[[          [[[          [[[
   [[[     [[[[[[[[  [[[            [[[[[        [[[[[
   [[[     [[[       [[[               [[[[[        [[[[[    ______
  [[[     [[[        [[[                  [[[          [[[  ____
  [[[     [[[         [[[    [[[  [[[[   [[[   [[[[   [[[
[[[[[[  [[[[[[         [[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[

&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^
IFCSS Foundation, Inc. 733 15th Street, NW  Suite 440 Washington, DC 20005
            Tel: (202) 347-0017              Fax: (202) 347-0018
&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=

1. Senate Bill on Welfare Cut Is Scheduled to Move to Floor for a Vote on
                          Monday , August 7th

IFCSS Headquarters was just informed that the Senate is planning to  begin
consideration of a welfare reform proposal on Friday    August   (Today!), 
which will continue working through Saturday, August 5th, and begin voting 
on the dozens of expected amendments on Monday, August 6th. 

Actually in June Senator Packwood welform bill passed in  Senate   Finance 
Committee. The latest development is that Senate Majority  Leader   Robert 
Dole has completed working with Packwood, ending up with a   "Dole Substi-
tute Welfare Reform Bill". This afternoon,   Dole will introduce it to the 
floor and push for a vote in couple of days, which was  confirmed in phone 
conversataion by HQ staff. The details of Dole Bill are not clear yet, but 
it's believed that government sponsored scholarships will   be   affected, 
which is immediately related to the interests of many Chinese students  on 
campuses. 

IFCSS Task Force urges the Chinese students, scholars and   CSS  organiza-
tions, to register our concerns with members of the Senate by making phone 
calls or Fax   between now and Monday. We have learned that Senate offices 
are now keeping logs of the calls they receive. The more calls the  Senate 
offices log in about concerns   with   immigrant-related   provisions, the 
greater the chance we can garner support for better amendments. The  Head-
quarters will list most of the points for your reference while you address 
your concerns to the Senate as following. 

2. Suggested Points for Calling Senators' Offices

1). Treat legal immigrants fairly: Legal immigrants are productive,   tax-
paying, and law abiding residents of the U.S. Study after study has  shown 
that immigrants are net contributors to the tax-base, and that over   time 
their incomes out-pace native-born Americans. 

2). Discriminative   treatment   of  immigrants   divides the society, and 
creates dangerous and destructive divisions in the nation: It's unfair for 
denying permenant residents and naturalized citizens to access to benefits 
simply because they are foreign-born.

3). Medical coverage is crucial to all Americans: 

3. IFCSS Headquarters is appealing again to CSS nationwide for  supporting 
solicition of personal "stories" and experience which reflect the     true 
picture: immigrants, including Chinese students and scholars,    have made 
tremendous contributions to this country, and will make more! Shorter   or 
longer, it doesn't matter. Headquarters will compile these documents   and 
send them to the Capital Hill.     Please   send   it through   email  to:
[email-masked], or mail to: IFCSS, 733 15th Suite 440, Washington,  D.C. 
20005 Thank you.

4. Partial Phone Numbers of U.S. Congress Members
U.S. Capital Switchboard: 202 224-3121 
The first 6  digits of Sentors' numbers are: (202) 224-xxxx, the last four 
digits are:

Ala:                 Howell Heflin 4124; Richard Shelby 5744
Alaska:              Ted Stevens   3004; Frank Murkowski 6665
Ariz:                John McCain 2235 ; Jon Kyl 4521
Arkansas:            Dale Bumpers 4843; David Pryor 2353
Calif:               Dianne Feinstein 3841; Barbara Boxer 3553
Colo:                Hank Brown 5941; Ben Nighthorse 5852
Connec:              Christopher Dodd 2823; Joseph Lieberman 4041
Fla:                 Bob Graham 3041; Connie Mack 5274
GA:                  Sam Nunn 3521 ; Paul Coverdell 3643
Hawaii:              Daniel Inouye 3934; Daniel Akada 6361
Idaho:               Larry Craig 2752; Dirk Kempthrone 6142
Ill:                 Paul Simon 2152; Carol Moseley-Braun 2854
Indiana:             Richard Lugar 4814; Dan Coats 5623
Iowa:                Charles Grassley 3744; Tom Harkin 3254
Kansas:              Robert Dole 6521; Nancy Kassebaum 4774
Kentuchy:            Wendell Ford 4343; Mitch McConnell 2541
Louisiana:           Bennett Johnson 5824; John Breaux 4623
Maine:               William Cohen 2523; Olympia Snowe 5344
Maryland:            Paul Sarbanes 4524; Barbara Mikulski 4654
Massachu:            Edward Kennedy 4543; John Kerry 2742
Michigan:            Carl Levin 6221; Spencer Abraham 4822
Minnesota:           Paul Wellstone 5641;  Rod Grams 3244
Missi:               Thad Cochran 5054; Trent Lott 6253
Missouri:            Christopher Bond 5721; John Ashcroft 6154
Montana:             Max Baucus 2651; Conrad Burns 2644
Nebra:               James Exon 4224; Robert Kerrey 6551
Nevada:              Harry Reid 3542; Richard Bryan 6244
New Hampsh:          Robert Smith 2841; Judd Gregg 3324
New Jersey:          Bill Bradley 3224; Frank Lautenberg 4744
New Mexico:          Pete Domenici 6621; Jeff Bingaman 5521
New York:            Daniel Patrick Moynihan 4451; Alfonse D'Amato 6542
N. Carolina:         Jesse Helms 6342; Lauch Faircloth 3154
N. Dakota:           Kent Conrad 2043; Byron Dorgan 2551
Ohio:                John Glenn 3353; Mike DeWine 2315
Okl:                 Don Nickles 5754; James Inhofe 4721
Oregon:              Mark Hatfield 3753; Bob Packwood 5244
Penn:                Arlen Specter 4254; Rick Santorum 6324
Rhode Isl:           Claiborne Pell 4624; John Chafee 2921
S. Carolina:         Strom Thurmond 5972; Ernest Hollings 6121
S. Dakota:           Larry Pressler 5842; Thomas Daschle 2321
Tenne:               Fred Thompson 4944; Bill Frist 3344
Texas:               Phil Gramm 2934; Kay Hutchison 5922
Utah:                Orrin Hatch 5251; Robert Bennett 5444
Vermont:             Patrick Leahy 4242; Jim Jeffords 5141
Virginia:            John Warner 2023; Charles Robb 4024
Washington:          Slade Gorton 3441; Patty Murray 2621
W. Virginai:         Robert Byrd 3954; Jay Rockefeller 6472
Wisconsin:           Herbert Kohl 5653; Russ Feingold 5323
Wyoming:             Alan Simpson 3424; Criag Thomas 6441

*********************************************************************
* PBS-L is IFCSS's news distribution list for individuals. To sign  *
* on or off from the list, please send email to [email-masked]  *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:             *
*    (For signing on)      sub PBS-L last name first name           *
*    (For signing off)     unsub PBS-L last name first name         *
* For more information about IFCSS, write to [email-masked]   *
*********************************************************************