Subject: HQ NR #7016: Working Committee Proposals [II]

From: [email-masked] (ifcss)
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 95 21:37:01 GMT

&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=
HEADQUARTERS NEWSRELEASE * HEADQUARTERS NEWSRELEASE * HEADQUARTERS NEWSREL
&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^

           *  *  *    N E W S   R E L E A S E   7016   *  *  *
                    _________   August 10, 1995  __________

   [[[[[[  [[[[[[[[[[    [[[[[[       [[[[[[[      [[[[[[[         ______
    [[[     [[[        [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[    _________
    [[[     [[[       [[[          [[[          [[[
   [[[     [[[[[[[[  [[[            [[[[[        [[[[[
   [[[     [[[       [[[               [[[[[        [[[[[    ______
  [[[     [[[        [[[                  [[[          [[[  ____
  [[[     [[[         [[[    [[[  [[[[   [[[   [[[[   [[[
[[[[[[  [[[[[[         [[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[

&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^
IFCSS Foundation, Inc. 733 15th Street, NW  Suite 440 Washington, DC 20005
            Tel: (202) 347-0017              Fax: (202) 347-0018
&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=

Memo: IFCSS Working Committee Proposal [II]
From: IFCSS Headquarters,
To  : IFCSS Council

                   Chinese Community Information Center (CCIC)
                       Working Committee Plan, 1995-1996

Proposed by: Yuan Jiang

In this year, CCIC plans to achieve two goals:

1) Improve the stability and quality of current FTP, WWW and mailing list
   services.
2) Promote CCIC sponsorship program, which leads  to  financial   support
   of CCIC from outside sources.

I. Improve service stability

Our current services have been relied on borrowed computers. When our own
computer  is  linked  up  to  the   Internet  by the kind help of Harvard
University, we will improve our Internet link stability.

Since the hard disks in the our computer are three year old and have gone
through long distance shipping, a new hard disk is needed  to replace the
old ones.  The new disk, 2GB capacitance, will cost $1,100.

Regular backup cost is $200 for a year's tape supply.

II. Sponsorship program

This program will attract business and individuals to contribute  to CCIC
and IFCSS financially.  In return, CCIC will display their names  and WWW
pages in CCIC's WWW page, which is read  by  thousands  to  ten  thousand
readers all over the world.

We have already had a sponsor, Abest International,   a  New  York  based
Internet provider, lending CCIC a computer and a T1 line Internet link.

Our objection is to attract 5 or more sponsors in this year with an aver-
age of $200 contribution from each sponsor.   The accounting will be done
by the headquarter.

The first step is to ask IFCSS's lawyer to assist CCIC to finalize neces-
sary sponsorship agreements.

CCIC volunteers, headquarter personells and other interested  persons can
help to the program on various occasions. If necessary,commissioned agent
will be used to promote the program.

III. Budget

The projected spending is $1,100 + $200 = $1,300.
The projected income is $200x5 = $1,000.

IV.  Partial  Statistics

IFCSS set up its community information center (CCIC) in the Fall of  1992.
It archives over 1 GB information useful for   the  community  to  be  be
retrieved with FTP,   Gopher   and   WWW over the Internet.  Thousands of
readers are attracted   to our services   each  week by our world largest
collection of Chinese software, Chinese  community  magazines  and  news-
letters, and Chinese texts, ranging from Confucius classics to  comtempo-
rary popular writers.

     FTP service alone, weekly receives average  60,000 logins retrieving
90,000 files and 4 gigabyte of information.   The majority users are from
US universities and companies. For example, in a typical week:

39631 users from US universities
9726        from commercial organizations,
6904        from Germany
5849        from Canada
2420        from United Kingdom
1983        from Ireland
1832        from Danmark
1735        from Japan
1472        from Italy
1435        from Australia

World-Wide Web Access Statistics for www.ifcss.org

Totals for Summary Period:  Mar 23 1995 to Apr  7 1995

Files Transmitted During Summary Period           22728
Bytes Transmitted During Summary Period       225959628
Average Files Transmitted Daily                    1420
Average Bytes Transmitted Daily                14122477

Daily Transmission Statistics

%Reqs %Byte  Bytes Sent  Requests   Date
----- ----- ------------ -------- |------------
 4.81  5.50     12429685     1093 | Mar 23 1995
 8.33  8.45     19083930     1894 | Mar 24 1995
 4.63  3.56      8047532     1052 | Mar 25 1995
 6.34  7.46     16857872     1441 | Mar 26 1995
 6.47  5.24     11831957     1470 | Mar 27 1995
 5.85  5.56     12557290     1329 | Mar 28 1995
 5.12  4.82     10894689     1164 | Mar 29 1995
 5.59  5.15     11639672     1271 | Mar 30 1995
 6.71  5.26     11875947     1525 | Mar 31 1995
 5.13  5.09     11509028     1167 | Apr  1 1995
 5.77  6.03     13615722     1311 | Apr  2 1995
 6.19  5.71     12895390     1406 | Apr  3 1995
 6.95  9.10     20553403     1579 | Apr  4 1995
 7.76  8.25     18651999     1763 | Apr  5 1995
 8.25  7.75     17519306     1874 | Apr  6 1995
 6.11  7.08     15996206     1389 | Apr  7 1995

*********************************************************************
* PBS-L is IFCSS's news distribution list for individuals. To sign  *
* on or off from the list, please send email to [email-masked]  *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:             *
*    (For signing on)      sub PBS-L last name first name           *
*    (For signing off)     unsub PBS-L last name first name         *
* For more information about IFCSS, write to [email-masked]   *
*********************************************************************