Subject: HQ NR #7018: Working Committee Proposals [III]

From: [email-masked] (ifcss)
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 95 17:53:49 GMT

Please Help Forward This Post To Local Nets - Thank You
&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=
HEADQUARTERS NEWSRELEASE * HEADQUARTERS NEWSRELEASE * HEADQUARTERS NEWSREL
&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^

           *  *  *    N E W S   R E L E A S E   7018   *  *  *
                    _________   August 13, 1995  __________

   [[[[[[  [[[[[[[[[[    [[[[[[       [[[[[[[      [[[[[[[         ______
    [[[     [[[        [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[    _________
    [[[     [[[       [[[          [[[          [[[
   [[[     [[[[[[[[  [[[            [[[[[        [[[[[
   [[[     [[[       [[[               [[[[[        [[[[[    ______
  [[[     [[[        [[[                  [[[          [[[  ____
  [[[     [[[         [[[    [[[  [[[[   [[[   [[[[   [[[
[[[[[[  [[[[[[         [[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[

&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^
IFCSS Foundation, Inc. 733 15th Street, NW  Suite 440 Washington, DC 20005
            Tel: (202) 347-0017              Fax: (202) 347-0018
&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=

Memo: IFCSS Working Committee Proposal [III]
From: IFCSS Headquarters,
To  : IFCSS Council

             Report of Humanitarian Working Committee of IFCSS
         in 1994 - 1995 and Committee Working Plan in 1995 - 1996

Reported and Proposed by: Zhang Yalai

1. Review the Work in the Last Term

The Humanitarian Committee founded in the 5th term of IFCSS' administra-
tion in 1992 and was envisaged to provide financial and other assistance
to the  victim families resulting from Tiananmen Square  Massacre.   The
committee  also provided whatever possible to help the efforts in China,
mainly conducted by Prof. Ding Zilin and others, to identify the victims
and their  survivals, and to  allocate the  relief  fund  to  the  needy
families.

Up to now,   Prof. Ding   has collected   more  than 200 victims' cases,
majority  of them were innocent residents and students killed during the
crack-down.  In last three years, on behalf of IFCSS,  we have sent more
than $ [  ]to  those families via [  ]. Meanwhile,   we initiated    the
project to build long term relief contact between committed local groups
in the Chinese students  and professional communities  in the US and the
needy families. More than 10  families in this type  were connected with
donators' groups and formed a stable assistance network. In this way, we
did not only send the relief to  the  victims   but also encouraged mass
participation in the relief actions.

In the term of 1994 - 1995, we donated a computer and printer to [  ] to
facilitate the efforts of allocating victims and distributing  relief in
China. The direct donators' groups expanded though facing great difficu-
lty to get more people involved. Meanwhile, we tried our best efforts to
send our petitions to the central  governmental leaders  and  asked  for
compensation to victims from merely humanitarian consideration.

Via our arrangement, a representative from a local "June 4th foundation"
paid visit to some victim families in Wuhan city. Through this visit, we
collected the first hand  information  on  the  victim survivals outside
Beijing as well as newly found cases.  A relief fund was directly passed
to those families in this mission. A detailed report about the situation
of  the victim families in Wuhan was published on Press Freedom Guardian
in June's issue.

In the whole year,   we  did not send any fund to victims as we planned.
Considering the fact that the fund in the June 4th Foundation  was  get-
ting  less and now new donation was ever generated,  and considering the
big flow-out (almost 80% of the fund) from the foundation during the 5th
term of administration of IFCSS, we proposed to the last council to  re-
organize  the June 4th Foundation so as to have more people involved  in
soliciting  donations as well as to put the fund allocation in a regular
monitoring and  control.  However,  our proposal failed to get listed on
the last council's agenda.

2. Working Plan for the Term of 1995 - 1996

We will focus on the following program:

1). Direct aid to victims. We propose to realize the last term's  budget
allocated to the victims and send $ [  ] to be distributed to the victim
families via [  ].

2). Continuing the direct single family  relief  program  carried out by
local   Chinese communities in the States. We have more than 15 families
in great financial difficulties,   in which the husband was killed   and
left single mother and children. We will search for volunteers to commit
to a long term relief directly this type of family.

3). In order to get those individual programs well organized and to have
more people participate in relief programs and donations,   we  will  be
incorporated in Minnesota with currently participated  people  and  also
form an e-mail net-work to keep constant communication. In this case, we
can better serve to the public as resource people in the related field.

4). Continuing our moral and other necessary support to Prof. Ding Zilin
and other resource people in their efforts to search for victim families.

3. Budget

1).  Direct relief to the victim families in China:     $ [  ]
2).  Telecommunication with local relief programs and task  force in
     Beijing :                                          $ [  ]
3).  Necessary administrative expenses (copy, postage): $100
                                          Total:        $ [  ]

The working plan and budget are subject to the agreement from Mr. Tao Ye,
whom I am going to nominate as new Chairman of Humanitarian Committee in
the term of 1995 - 1996. I made this nomination because I have been this
position for three years and we need new leadership and also I  want  to
focus on the newly incorporated entity to maintain our  relief  network.
In   whatsoever condition, I will never stop my own direct commitment to
the victim relief programs and our committee's work.

                           *   *   *   *   *

[IFCSS Headquarters' Note:  June  4th  Foundation  is affiliated  to the
managed by IFCSS,  mainly  for  the  purpose  of humanitarian relief and
related works. The Headquarters appeals to Chinese students and scholars,
for donations, or joining the program of "One School Helps One Family)to
facilitate the assistance of the victims  and their families suffered in
June 4th Massacre. Please send your check  to:   June Fourth Foundation,
733 15th St. Suite 440 Washington, D.C. 20005,  or contact: 202 347 0017
and 202 347 0018 (fax).  Your help is much appreciated.]

*********************************************************************
* PBS-L is IFCSS's news distribution list for individuals. To sign  *
* on or off from the list, please send email to [email-masked]  *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:             *
*    (For signing on)      sub PBS-L last name first name           *
*    (For signing off)     unsub PBS-L last name first name         *
* For more information about IFCSS, write to [email-masked]   *
*********************************************************************