Subject: HQ NR #7019: Communication on Joint Efforts to Block Congress Bills

From: [email-masked] (ifcss)
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 95 04:26:09 GMT

Please Help Forward This Post To Local Nets - Thank You
&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=
HEADQUARTERS NEWSRELEASE * HEADQUARTERS NEWSRELEASE * HEADQUARTERS NEWSREL
&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^

           *  *  *    N E W S   R E L E A S E   7019   *  *  *
                    _________   August 14, 1995  __________

   [[[[[[  [[[[[[[[[[    [[[[[[       [[[[[[[      [[[[[[[         ______
    [[[     [[[        [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[    _________
    [[[     [[[       [[[          [[[          [[[
   [[[     [[[[[[[[  [[[            [[[[[        [[[[[
   [[[     [[[       [[[               [[[[[        [[[[[    ______
  [[[     [[[        [[[                  [[[          [[[  ____
  [[[     [[[         [[[    [[[  [[[[   [[[   [[[[   [[[
[[[[[[  [[[[[[         [[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[

&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^
IFCSS Foundation, Inc. 733 15th Street, NW  Suite 440 Washington, DC 20005
            Tel: (202) 347-0017              Fax: (202) 347-0018
&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=

        Communication on Joint Efforts to Block Congress Bills (II)

                         --       --       --
[Headquarters' Notice: The HQ is selectively forwarding two letters from
dozens of messages addressed to the HQ,with successful stories about the
immigrants' experience and contributions. Hopefully the HQ will get more
stories, like what we show you here, for final compiling of a collection.
Thanks to all for the cooperations.]

From: xxxx @avery.med.virginia.edu>

Dear ifcss staff:

This is a response to your request for recent immigrant successful story.

Off the top of my head,   I can think of two cases that recently occured
at the University of Virginia.

Case #1.  Ms. [  ] is a graduate from Tianjin university  (graduated  in
1989) and went to UVA the same year. During five years at UVa, she obta-
ined two master degrees and a Ph.D. in Electrical engineering.  She will
assume a tenure-track position  at the Electrical Engineering department
at George Tech this September.     She is   probably one of the very few
female assistant professor at such a prestigious institution.

Case #2. Dr. [  ] graduated from Beijing University in  1989 and went to
study in UVA the same year.  He graduated early  this year and was hired
by Microsoft coporation in Redmond, WA to  develop multimedia communica-
tion system.  He holds a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering.

Hope this helps.

                           *   *   *   *   *

From: [email-masked]

IFCSS Headquarters - Dear Friends:
Followings are short stories for new immigrants: (1) [ ]: BS  from  Cen-
tral Univ of Taiwan, MS from Univ of Michigan and Ph.D from Northwestern
Univ of IL in 1993.   [  ] is now engaged with Ford Company with several
research projects regarding car manufacture. (2) [  ]: BS & MS from Univ
of Sci & Tech. of China and Ph.D from Northwestern Univ. [  ] is working
on T. Belytschko's company, engagied in research of advanced finite ele-
ment methods; (3): [  ]: BS at Nanjin Inst of Tech., China and Ph.D from
Northwestern Univ of IL in 1992. [  ] has successfully completed on  dye
design, quartz-tubing and other projects for Research & Development Cen-
ter of GE. (4) [  ]: Ph.D from Univ of Sci & Tech., China and then North
western Univ.   of IL in 1993. Gu is now a contrctor of Ford and engaged
in several research projects on car manufacturing.

All the above people have got great appreciations from their supervisors
for their outstanding contributions and achievements in their jobs.

                           *   *   *   *   *

From: [email-masked]

To IFCSS Headquarters:  Please mail me a copy of  the  draft  letter  to
corporations and institutions regarding HR1915. Thank you!

                           --      --      --
[Headquarters' Note: IFCSS Task Force particularly  appreciates  the co-
operation of CSS nationwide for distributing fliers,  available in IFCSS
HQ, for lobbying corporations and institutions. Please drop one line to:
[email-masked]]

                           *   *   *   *   *

From: [email-masked]  Cc: [email-masked]

Here is a story about our company in support of your lobby effort.  [  ]
Online Computer Library Center, Inc.is a not-for-profit computer library
service and research organization. [  ] operates the   PRISM service for
cataloging and resource sharing, provides online   reference systems for
both  librarians and end-users, and distributes online electronic journ-
als. The success of [  ] is a living proof that immigrants has become  a
vital part of growth of the Amerircan economy.    Due   to the saturated
domestic market, the company has set  international expansion as one  of
its top priority. Increasing growth in revenue from foreign market, par-
ticularly from Asia Pacific regions has contributed to the growth of the
company and the local   community. To enlarge the database, the  company
has hired many Americans as well as Asian to do data entry.

                           *   *   *   *   *

From: [email-masked]

Dear HQ staff: To those who would like to get back-issues of  IFCSS  news
releases regarding national campaign agaist Congress' bills,   here's the
gopher cite that CND set up of HR1915 related information.    Most of the
IFCSS news release, including the sample letters can be found there:

gopher://cnd.cnd.org/11/English-Menu/InfoBase/HR1915

[Headquarters' Notice: IFCSS Information Center is scheduled to be  reac-
tivated in a couple of days,   and all news and other information related
to   IFCSS affairs will  be available from CCIC of IFCSS. Thanks for your
attention]

                           *   *   *   *   *

From: Ilya Shlyakhter [email-masked]

My name is Ilya Shlyakhter.  I'm a Russian immigrant extremely opposed to
the ugly anti-immigration bill H.R. 1915.      I'm trying   to organize a
letter-writing  campaign from Russian immigrants against this bill.  What
I need is: as much information on the bill as I could find. All the argu-
ments for and against it.  Addresses of people to whom the letters should
be sent.

>From what I found on the Internet, your organization is   already   doing
something similar among Chinese immigrants, so I really hope you can help.
Please point me to all relevant resources and information. Thank you.

                           *   *   *   *   *

From: [email-masked]

Dear IFCSS Headquarters:

Like I said earlier, I am in touch with the developments   regarding this
bill. My thinking is like this:

1. It is important that the Rep.s of the House have a large   VOLUME   of
   mail in this matter. (I think high quantity helps)

2. Therefore, we must involve all possible groups in this effort (Foreign,
   and also American companies).

3. It may not be possible to block ILLEGAL immigration but legal immigra-
   tion, ESPECIALLY SKILLED LABOR   should not  be limited, since this is
   detrimental to AMerican companies and research.

4. Therefore, our attack should involve  two points: i) A large number of
   people/groups should contact  the Reps., and  ii) Legal    immigration
   should not be limited.

   Also, I  don't  know about your  group from  press releases, so if you
   e-mail those  press releases, then please  include  me  in the   list.
   Also, if you have a homepage in this matter, please  send me  the add-
   ress so that I can keep in touch with the latest  developments. Thanks
   a lot, and talk to  you  later.

                           *   *   *   *   *

From: [email-masked]

Dear ifcss Headquarter:    Please send the drafted letter to me ASAP. The
CSS in University of Missouri-Rolla is considering to take some action to
join the coperative action of ifcss to block the   anti-immigration bill.
Advice is needed on how  to call and what points should be drafted in the
letter to the congress.   Thank you guys   to  take action to protect the
future of all CSS comunity.

                           *   *   *   *   *

From: [email-masked]

Hi, Lu Ping, Thanks for the message [regarding IFCSS' efforts on Congress
bill related campaign]. As a matter of fact, we were aware of HR1915  and
several actions were taken. We, together  with the   local  international
bodies, are currently organizing a email/fax/phone/mail campaign  against
the bill. We also endrosed the nation-wide lobby called by ACCA. If IFCSS
are going to have any actions   on this  issue,   ufcss will be more than
happy to cooperate and work together.

                           *   *   *   *   *

From: [email-masked]>

To IFCSS HQ - Great job!!!  IFCSS seems reactivated!

One suggestion: work with SC based Committe to do sth.  greater.  It   is
really important, because when you say 100,000 representation,   we don't
want see different voices which will make lawmakers confusing.

                           *   *   *   *   *

From: [email-masked]

Dear IFCSS HQ:  Any news about the "anti-bill" lobby cooperation?  How  is
the meeting? What is the words?  What can our grassroot guys do right now?
If you have something to tell us, please send   E. mail  to both   [     ]
([email-masked]) and me.  I'll give them a more  persona-
lized push for a better promotion of campaign.

                           *   *   *   *   *

From: [email-masked]

IFCSS Headquarters - Dear President Xing Zheng:

We appreciate very much for the IFCSS's great efforts on blocking  HR1915.
We are wondering that could the IFCSS send out the following msg  through
the network: addresses, phone/fax no, emai addresses for the senetors and
congresspersons of all the states. In our experiences, this will be  very
helpful for the lobbying activities. Together,   we will make difference!
Thanks.
                           --      --      --
[Headquarters' Note] IFCSS Headquarters archieves all  U.S. Congress mem-
bers' phone numbers (both in D.C. and districts) and fax   numbers,   and
senators email address,  available to local CSS organization leaders  and
the general public upon request.

                         *   *   *   *   *

From: [email-masked]

I appreciate your effort against the HR1915.   Few days ago  I received a
message that the vote was   postponed because of the busy schedule of the
Congress.   This issue mentioned it is the result of IFCSS effort.  Which
is true?

By the way, there is an effort to block IFCSS sending news   to  Chinese-
list   on University of Utah campus by Mr. [  ].    I think   both IFCSS'
should have their voices heard.

                         --         --          --
[Headquarters' Note: H.R.1915 was postponed to reach the full   Judiciary
committee in House was mainly due to the aggressive efforts  by   several
lobby coalitions in Washington, D.C. in which IFCSS is only  one  member,
and nationawide campaign against House bill,   including all CSS' efforts.
IFCSS was not in any position to say that's her sole effort at all.    By
the way, the Headquarters sincerely hope CSS nationwide   could   support
IFCSS' actions and campaign against the Congress bills. To be united, CSS
 will be stronger.]

*********************************************************************
* PBS-L is IFCSS's news distribution list for individuals. To sign  *
* on or off from the list, please send email to [email-masked]  *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:             *
*    (For signing on)      sub PBS-L last name first name           *
*    (For signing off)     unsub PBS-L last name first name         *
* For more information about IFCSS, write to [email-masked]   *
*********************************************************************