Subject: HQ NR #7052: Follow-Up of Actions against Simpson Bill S 1394

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 23:55:57 -0500

*  *  *    N E W S   R E L E A S E   7052   *  *  *
             _________   November 9, 1995   __________

   [[[[[[  [[[[[[[[[[    [[[[[[       [[[[[[[      [[[[[[[
    [[[     [[[        [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[    ______
    [[[     [[[       [[[          [[[          [[[
   [[[     [[[[[[[[  [[[            [[[[[        [[[[[
   [[[     [[[       [[[               [[[[[        [[[[[    ______
  [[[     [[[        [[[                  [[[          [[[  ____
  [[[     [[[         [[[    [[[  [[[[   [[[   [[[[   [[[
[[[[[[  [[[[[[         [[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[

&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^
IFCSS Foundation, Inc. 733 15th Street, NW  Suite 440 Washington,
     D.C. 20005   Tel: (202) 347-0017      Fax: (202) 347-0018
&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=

         Follow-Up of Actions against Simpson Bill S 1394

Numerous messages and phone calls flooded into IFCSS Headquartrers
office since the main provisions of Simpson Bill S 1394 was broad-
cast in IFCSS networks,  forwarded  further  by  China News Digest 
(CND) in the past 48 hours. It is imagable that  Chinese  students 
and scholars are very uneasy about it, and the  future will become
more unexpected if this bill gets passed. We  share  the  concerns 
of all fellow men and women, and notice that emotion is arising in 
Chinese communities, but emotion is just emotion.   We  must  take 
actions! Since Chinese and Indian students and professionals,   as 
expected, might be the largest population  mostly affected by this 
bill, and there is no Chinese-originated U.S. Congress member  who  
would fight in the battlefield of the Capitol  Hill,  we  have  to 
bear this in mind: Only can we help ourselves.

                       *   *   *   *   *

                 What IFCSS Task Force Is Doing

1. IFCSS Headquarters Staff has made appointments to visit several
Senator's offices, and exchange standpoints with  their staffs and 
aids on a variety of concerned issues,   which   are  scheduled on 
early  next week;

2. IFCSS has been contacting top officials of NAFSA:Association of
International Educators, and will scheduce for an informal meeting
immediately;

3. IFCSS is preparing materials which will be sent to Secretary of
Education, Secretary of Labor,  Assistant  to  the  President  for 
Science & Technology, selected enterprises and university   autho- 
rities; 

4. IFCSS has sent reports to news media, including  major  Chinese
newspaper. However, the reaction has been very slow so far;    The
current focus of mainstream media is still on the welfare  cut  by  
the bills passed recently in the House and Senate,   respectively, 
which affect the benefits of legal immigrants and even naturalized 
citizens;

5. IFCSS  is  preparing a half-page  advertisement  in  Washington 
Post, the most influential newspaper in the national capital,which 
is heavily dependent on donations from Chinese  student and  scho-
lar  communities. We appeal to everyone who cares,   for  donating 
$20 from each person. Each penny will be spent on the operation of
this event. If IFCSS fails to collect enough amount of money,  and 
the fund can't fulfill the prupose, IFCSS will return all  collec-
ted checks in full. Please write the donation  payable  to  IFCSS,
with memo: Justice for Immigration & Employment, to:
   IFCSS  733 15th St. N.W. Suite 440   Washington D.C. 20005

6. IFCSS is speeding up its process to seek best immigration  lay-
wers nationwide for providing  exclusive  immigration  services in
a "Whole Package Program",  explicitly  for  Chinese students  and
professionals, to promote and protect  the benefits  of  community
members;

7. IFCSS has been contacting more local CSSA officials,  and  app-
ealed for more vigorious local actions. If your local organization
doesn't have appropriate materials  or  need  further information,
please contact: [email-masked]   Full summary of this bill  will  be
available by fax upon request.

                     *   *   *   *   *

              What You Need To Do Right Now?

1. Cut Sample letter provided in IFCSS NR #7051, and  send  it  to
all seven Senator's offices.  Call  their offices if you have more
time. Please be notified that Senator  Specter's  fax  number  has 
been changed to: 202 228-1229. Brother organizations should change
this number while forwarding the related messages to other nets;

2. Contact your local CSSA officials, reminding them of the events
if convenient, and engaging more CSS to participate in the actions;

3. Forward the messages, or write short notes, to  the  president,
chancellor, Deans, directors of Department,  advisors  of  Foreign 
Student Offices in your university, institution, or enterprise;

4. Contact other student organization, ethnic groups, like  Taiwa-
nese groups, Indian groups, Spanish groups for joint actions.  You
could do it yourself by forwarding relevant messages,  or  request 
your local CSSA officials to do;

                    *   *   *   *   *

In American politics, there has been no Chinese voice.  Maybe most
of our fellow countrymen/women, including those from Taiwan,  have
spent,  and are spending too much time,  or  just  concentrate  on 
their academic studies, and professional works. We have been proud
of being skilled labors and professionals. However, an unfortunate 
fact, in this land, is: politically, no voice, no rights. In  con-
trast to some other group's assessment, IFCSS  doesn't think Chin-
ese as a whole community did well,  showed up  strong  and  gained  
much in the past battle against Smith's H.R. 2202. 

We need to do more, from now on! Just for ourselves. 

Thanks for your attention.

*********************************************************************
* PBS-L is IFCSS's news distribution list for individuals. To sign  *
* on or off from the list, please send email to [email-masked]  *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:             *
*    (For signing on)      sub PBS-L last name first name           *
*    (For signing off)     unsub PBS-L last name first name         *
* For more information about IFCSS, write to [email-masked]   *
*********************************************************************