Subject: HQ NR #7069: NIH Radiation Incident Aired on CBS "60 Minutes" This Sunday Night

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 1995 19:38:59 -0500

*  *  *    N E W S   R E L E A S E   #7069   *  *  *
             _________   December 9, 1995   __________

   [[[[[[  [[[[[[[[[[    [[[[[[       [[[[[[[      [[[[[[[
    [[[     [[[        [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[    ______
    [[[     [[[       [[[          [[[          [[[
   [[[     [[[[[[[[  [[[            [[[[[        [[[[[
   [[[     [[[       [[[               [[[[[        [[[[[    ______
  [[[     [[[        [[[                  [[[          [[[  ____
  [[[     [[[         [[[    [[[  [[[[   [[[   [[[[   [[[
[[[[[[  [[[[[[         [[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[

&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^
IFCSS Foundation, Inc. 733 15th Street, NW  Suite 440 Washington,
     D.C. 20005   Tel: (202) 347-0017      Fax: (202) 347-0018
&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=

  NIH Radiation Incident Aired on CBS "60 Minutes" This Sunday Night

  The CBS "60 Minutes" will air the program of interview and comments
on the  NIH  radiation  incident,  which  happened  in mid-June,   on
December 10 (Sunday at 7:00 pm). Chinese scientist, Dr. Ma Wenli, who
was deliberately poisoned with lab-used radioisotope phosphorus-32 in
her laboratory at NIH,   was interviewed by reporter Steven Crest and 
the "60 Minutes" crew. The IFCSS encoureges Chinese students and sch-
olars to watch this program tomorrow night, and express your concerns
by writing to the branches in charge at NIH and NRC,      the federal 
agency for investigating this incident, which is still under the way.

  On December 1st, Mr. Thomas Matin,  the Administrator of NRC  wrote 
to Ms. Ma's attoney,  and  informed  that  the  investigation had not 
completed yet, and the damage was still in the process of being esti-
mated. But,    Mr. Matin assured that the dosage in Ms. Ma's body was 
"overdosed" according to federal standards. Obviously all the  proce-
sses have been carried out at a slow state.  The IFCSS will keep con-
tacting the agencies for speeding up the investigation.

  By the way, Ma Wenli gave birth to a baby boy, safely and smoothly,
on December 1st.   It  looks  that both mother and baby are  in  good
conditions at current stage.  We wish our fellow countrymen and coun-
trywomen could send the couple  and  the baby holiday cards with sea-
son's greetings at:    Dr. Ma, Wenli, Laboratory of Molecular Pharma-
cology, National Cancer Institute (NIH), Bethesda, Maryland 20892. We
appreciate your care.

  To respond CBS' program, you may write to:

   Michael Gottesman, M.D.
   Deputy Director for Intramural Research
   NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892-0140

   Thomas Matin, The Administrator,
   Region One, Nuclear Regulation Commission (NRC)
   475 Allendale Rd.,
   King of Prussia, PA 19406-1415

  Thank you for your attention, and have a nice weekend.

*********************************************************************
* PBS-L is IFCSS's news distribution list for individuals. To sign  *
* on or off from the list, please send email to [email-masked]  *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:             *
*    (For signing on)      sub PBS-L last name first name           *
*    (For signing off)     unsub PBS-L last name first name         *
* For more information about IFCSS, write to [email-masked]   *
*********************************************************************