Subject: HQ NR #7073: Coalition Groups Visit More Senators' Offices

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 14:48:26 -0500

*  *  *    N E W S   R E L E A S E   7073   *  *  *
             _________   December 15, 1995   __________

   [[[[[[  [[[[[[[[[[    [[[[[[       [[[[[[[      [[[[[[[
    [[[     [[[        [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[    ______
    [[[     [[[       [[[          [[[          [[[
   [[[     [[[[[[[[  [[[            [[[[[        [[[[[
   [[[     [[[       [[[               [[[[[        [[[[[    ______
  [[[     [[[        [[[                  [[[          [[[  ____
  [[[     [[[         [[[    [[[  [[[[   [[[   [[[[   [[[
[[[[[[  [[[[[[         [[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[

&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^
IFCSS Foundation, Inc. 733 15th Street, NW  Suite 440 Washington,
     D.C. 20005   Tel: (202) 347-0017      Fax: (202) 347-0018
&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=

                 Actions On Simpson Bill S 1394

1. The Coalition Groups Visit More Senators' Offices

The Coalition Groups visited several more Senators' offices on Monday,
December 11, and delieved concerns and drafts  of  amendments  to  the  
bill, which probably will be put on to  the  full  Judiciary Committee 
early next year.    The staffs contacted were Carlos Angulo of Senator
Simon's office;  Leecia Eve of Senator Biden's office and Kevin Cronin 
of Senator Feinstein's office.

2. A Novel E-Mail Account Reachable to All Senators Functional

The IFCSS Community Information Center has set up an account for  rea-
ching all Senators at Judiciary Committee,  and  many  members  of our
community have sent their mails through this channel.  We encourge all
of concerned members to  take  a  couple  of minutes for drafting some
messages regarding this issue and the bill,   and  make  use  of  this
resource to reach all Senators.    As   we  were informed at Senators' 
offices,  the Congressional staffs pay almost equal attention to Email 
messages, to those sent by fax or regular mail. We present you a sele-
cted messages drafted by our members and sent to  ALL Senators through 
this account service:

                      [email-masked]

                        *   *   *   *   *
From: [email-masked] 

Dear Senator:  I am a graduate student at the Computer Science Depart-
ment of U.C. San Diego. My opinion toward the Simpson Bill is: "Better 
to keep the status quo than over-correct."   It seems  to  me that the 
legal immigration reforms, especially the part about H-1B, will unduly 
put a dent on America's international  competitiveness,  and this will 
ultimately hurt America's national interest.  Thus,  it's my hope that 
the American people will think twice before jumping on board.   Do it, 
but definitely don't over-do it.

                        *   *   *   *   *
From: [email-masked]  

Dear Senator Simpson, I would suggest not to limit (reduce) the immi-
gration of highly-educated people,  having Ph.D.  or  Master  degrees 
with research or working experience in scientific and industrial fie-
ld.  These people are invaluable human resource which will definitely 
make significant contributions to the  US's  science, technology, and 
economy.

I do agree that striction should be made to the family-based immigra-
tion,  except for immediate replatives,   I mean the children and the 
parents  if  they  have  only  one  son or daughter who is now in the 
States.

I suggest most actions to reduce the  immigration problems should  be 
directed to effectively prevent illegal immigrants.

                       *   *   *   *   *
From: [email-masked] 

Dear Sir: I am strongly against the  Simpson  bill  S 1394 since this 
bill is anti-immigration.    As you know, this country has obtained a 
lot of benefits from legal immigrants. I think, if this terrible bill 
passes,   the  economy of USA would become uncertain because it faces 
more challenges and competition from other countries.     Please vote 
against it.

                       *   *   *   *   * 
From: [email-masked]  

Dear Senator:   I  am  shocked by the harshly restrictive measures on 
skill-based immigration introduced by Senator Allen Simpson.  Senator 
Simpson's stance on  this issue  reflects his shortsighedness (almost 
blindness) on the costs and benefits of immigration. After a long and 
distinguished career in the US Senate, Senator Simpson will be remem- 
bered by the Simpson Bill.    And I feel sorry for the Senator who is 
near retirement.

                       *   *   *   *   *
From: [email-masked] 

"I am an international educator at Southern Methodist University.   The 
Senate Immigration Subcommittee  is  considering  this week a bill that 
would both force  foreign  students  to  study  in  other countries and
prevent our campus from bringing the most renowned experts in the world 
to teach our students."

"In addition,  cutting  edge  research  done at our institution would be 
adversely impacted if we couldn't  seek out  the best researchers in the 
world for our school.    S.1394  will  harm our state, and I ask that my 
senator call Senator Simpson's office immediately to tell  Simpson  that 
higher education in our state is opposed to this legislation!"

                       *   *   *   *   *

From: [email-masked] 

Honorable Senator:  I am writing this email to express my strongest oppo-
sition against Senator Alan Simpson's  immigration  reform  bill.   These 
bills wrongly depicted legal immigration's effect on American society. By 
attracting a lot of  talents  in  different  fields  and subject, America 
enjoys the leading role in both technology and economy in the global com-
petition. This very essence of this immigration country, is the very com-
petition edge!

Please say no to Simpson's immigration bill!

                         *   *   *   *   *

From: [email-masked]  

This letter is in  response  to  the recent  talk about the simpson bill. 
Even  though  I am not Chinese (I am Greek), I will also like every other 
F-1 Visa holder be affected by the bill.   I  strongly  believe that this 
country came to be great because of people  like  us  who have decided to 
leave their familiar world and come to this foreign land and try to  make 
it.  We have alot to contribute  and  that can be seen with the amount of 
companies which have been hiring us.  If we had nothing to offer, then we 
would have been long gone.  The competitive advantage of certain American 
companies  will  be  devestated  if the proper people can not be found to 
fill the available possitions.  That is were we come in.   We  fill these 
gaps that exist within the market.

The illegal immigrants are the ones that need to be looked at.   They are 
the ones that have been entering  this country  illegally and taking jobs 
at extremely low wages.    Stronger rules need to be placed so that these 
people will be send back to their countries,  and leave eligible  workers 
take those jobs.

I urge you to look at this bill once more before it is moved forward even 
further.

*********************************************************************
* PBS-L is IFCSS's news distribution list for individuals. To sign  *
* on or off from the list, please send email to [email-masked]  *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:             *
*    (For signing on)      sub PBS-L last name first name           *
*    (For signing off)     unsub PBS-L last name first name         *
* For more information about IFCSS, write to [email-masked]   *
*********************************************************************