Subject: China IMP/EXP News

From: [email-masked] (China Link Club)
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1993 00:16:11 -0500

C H I N A      I M P O R T / E X P O R T        N E W S

Nov. 08, 1993

A   WEEKLY   NEWSLETTER   FROM   CHINA-LINK   CLUB

THE MAILING LIST IS A MODERATED NET. PLEASE SEND YOUR
CONTRIBUTION/ADVERTISEMENT TO:  [email-masked]

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Please send all your e-mail responses to [email-masked], 
but please do define your messages with following automatic sorting 
words in your SUBJECT.
====================================================================
	 DESTINATION                      SUBJECT
TO SUBSCRIBE/UNSUBCRIBE:                   SUB or UNSUB
TO CONTRIBUTE / ADVERTISE:                 AD or NEWS   
TO JOIN THE CHINA-LINK CLUB:               CLUB
mail your name, postal mailing address, phone, fax, & special contacts.
TO RESPONSE TRADE LEADS:                   TRADE
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

NOTES:     

* We have installed an automatic fax delivery system for our 
  weekly news release. If you wish to receive this news by fax, 
  please advice us your fax number. At this stage, only certain 
  areas of fax number are reachable.

** We are testing the direct connection to China Foreign Trade 
   Center. Hopefully by next month we can provide you the 
   business opportunities directly down loaded from China.

*** To have the access to our special china trade news, you must 
    have your China-Link Club membership. To get information 
    about how join the club, please send your postal mailing 
    address to [email-masked]

**** Due to the unsolved technique problems with the @mcimail.com, 
     we transferred the trade connections back to us. Your inquires 
     will be answered shortly from our club.
	  
#################################################################

I) Trade Opportunities
 
B U Y   $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

#B9311081

Description:
	  8708315  BRAKE ROTORS (DISCS)

Comments:

PRODUCT DATA

A. DETAILED PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: A COMPLETE SET OF
   EQUIPMENT FOR MANUFACTURING NON-ASBESTOS AUTOMOBILE
   BRAKE DISCS
B. PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS/TECHNICAL DATA: ANNUAL PRODUCTION
   CAPACITY OF THE EQUIPMENT SHOULD BE ONE MILLION SETS OF BRAKE
   DISCS OF FOUR MILLION PIECES OF PAD MATERIALS.
C. QUANTITY: ONE SET
D. U.S. DOLLAR VALUE: NONE
E. PURCHASE NEEDED BY: AS SOON AS POSSIBLE
F. OTHER INFORMATION: NONE

RESPONSE DATA

A. RESPONSE LANGUAGE: ENGLISH OR CHINESE
B. BEST WAY TO RESPOND: FAX
C. FROM MANUFACTURERS ONLY: YES
D. INFORMATION DESIRED FROM U.S. FIRM: QUOTATION,
   TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS, AND EQUIPMENT FUNCTION
   INFORMATION
E. PRIMARY BUYING FACTOR: QUALITY, PRICE, AND DELIVERY
   TIME
F. OTHER INFORMATION: NONE

*********************************************************
#B9311082

Description:
	  25201  EQUIPMENT FOR MANUFACTURING SHEET ROCK

Comments:

PRODUCT DATA

A.  DETAILED PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:  EQUIPMENT FOR PROCESSING
    GYPSUM TO SHEET ROCK
B.  PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS/TECHNICAL DATA:  CAPACITY: 20 MILLION
    SQUARE METERS PER YEAR
C.  QUANTITY:  ONE SET
D.  U.S. DOLLAR VALUE:  US$3-4 MILLION
E.  PURCHASE NEEDED BY: SPRING OF 1994
F.  OTHER INFORMATION:  TERM OF PAYMENT: L/C
    TERM OF SHIPMENT: SHIP TO CHINA MAIN PORTS

RESPONSE DATA

A.  RESPONSE LANGUAGE: CHINESE AND ENGLISH
B.  BEST WAY TO RESPOND: BY E-MAIL
C.  FROM MANUFACTURERS ONLY: N
D.  INFORMATION DESIRED FROM U.S. FIRM: 1) SUPPLIER'S
    CONTACT INFORMATION;  2) TECHNICAL
    DATA OF THE EQUIPMENT;  3) QUOTATION (INCLUDING
    INSTALLATION AND COMMISSION)
E.  PRIMARY BUYING FACTOR: THE QUALITY AND THE PRICE
F.  OTHER INFORMATION:  NONE

******************************************************
#B9311083

Description:
	  901811  NUCLEAR MAGNETIC EQUIPMENT WITH RESONANT
		  EXCITATION FOR MEDICAL USES

Comments:

PRODUCT DATA

A. DETAILED PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:  NUCLEAR MAGNETIC
   EQUIPMENT WITH RESONANT EXCITATION FOR MEDICAL USES
B. PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS/TECHNICAL DATA:  NONE
C. QUANTITY:  ONE
D. U.S. DOLLAR VALUE:  N/A
E. PURCHASE NEEDED BY: WITHIN ONE MONTH
F. OTHER INFORMATION:  NA

RESPONSE DATA

A. RESPONSE LANGUAGE:   CHINESE
B. BEST WAY TO RESPOND: BY E-MAIL
C. FROM MANUFACTURERS:  MANUFACTURERS OR DEALERS
D. INFORMATION DESIRED FROM U.S. FIRM:  MODEL AND QUALITY
E. PRIMARY BUYING FACTOR: GOOD QUALITY WITH REASONABLE
   PRICE
F. OTHER INFORMATION:  

******************************************************

#B9311084
Description:
	  2801  HYDROXYPROPYL FORMALDEHYDE CELLULOSE

Comments:

PRODUCT DATA

A. DETAILED PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:  HYDROXYPROPYL
   FORMALDEHYDE CELLULOSE
B. PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS/TECHNICAL DATA:  HPMC(E-50)
C. QUANTITY:  3T
D. U.S. DOLLAR VALUE:  N/A
E. PURCHASE NEEDED BY: AS SOON AS POSSIBLE
F. OTHER INFORMATION:  NA

RESPONSE DATA

A. RESPONSE LANGUAGE:   ENGLISH
B. BEST WAY TO RESPOND: BY E-MAIL
C. FROM MANUFACTURERS ONLY:  MANUFACTURERS OR DEALERS
D. INFORMATION DESIRED FROM U.S. FIRM:  QUOTATON, WAY OF
   DELIVERY
E. PRIMARY BUYING FACTOR: GOOD QUALITY WITH REASONABLE
   PRICE
F. OTHER INFORMATION:  NA

********************************************************

#B9311085
Description:
	  84391  TECHNOLOGY AND EQUIPMENT PRODUCING HOT-
		 PRINTED FAX PAPER
	  85173  TECHNOLOGY AND EQUIPMENT PRODUCING
		 MOBILE AND VIDEO TELEPHONES

Comments:

PRODUCT DATA

A. DETAILED PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:  TECHNOLOGY AND
   EQUIPMENT PRODUCING HOT-PRINTED FAX PAPER & TECHNOLOGY
   AND EQUIPMENT PRODUCING MOBILE TELEPHONE AND VIDEO
   TELEPHONE
B. PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS/TECHNICAL DATA:  NONE
C. QUANTITY:  TWO HOT-PRINTED FAX PAPER PRODUCTION LINES
   & SEVERAL MOBILE TELEPHONE AND VIDEO TELEPHONE PRODUCTION
   LINES (UPON FINAL DEMAND)
D. U.S. DOLLAR VALUE:  N/A
E. PURCHASE NEEDED BY: THE END OF 1994
F. OTHER INFORMATION:  NA

RESPONSE DATA

A. RESPONSE LANGUAGE:   ENGLISH OR CHINESE
B. BEST WAY TO RESPOND: BY E-MAIL
C. FROM MANUFACTURERS ONLY:  MANUFACTURERS OR DEALERS
D. INFORMATION DESIRED FROM U.S. FIRM:  QUOTATION,
   TECHNOLOGY AND QUALITY
E. PRIMARY BUYING FACTOR: GOOD QUALITY WITH REASONABLE
   PRICE
F. OTHER INFORMATION:  NA

********************************************************
#B9311086

 Description:
	COMPLETE MONOCLONAL ANTIBODY PRODUCTION LINE

Comments:

PRODUCT DATA

A. DETAILED PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:  TECHNOLOGY AND
   EQUIPMENT PRODUCING DIAGONOSTIC ANITBODIES FOR CANCER.
B. PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS/TECHNICAL DATA:  NONE
C. QUANTITY:  1   LINES 
D. U.S. DOLLAR VALUE:  N/A
E. PURCHASE NEEDED BY:ASAP
F. OTHER INFORMATION:  NA

RESPONSE DATA

A. RESPONSE LANGUAGE:   ENGLISH OR CHINESE
B. BEST WAY TO RESPOND: BY E-MAIL
C. FROM MANUFACTURERS ONLY:  MANUFACTURERS OR DEALERS
D. INFORMATION DESIRED FROM U.S. FIRM:  QUOTATION,
   TECHNOLOGY AND QUALITY
E. PRIMARY BUYING FACTOR:N/A
F. OTHER INFORMATION:  NA

S E L L  %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

#S9311081
BICYCLES

TEN DIFFERENT STYLES INCLUDING COLLEGE BIKE, RACING BIKE, 
CHILDREN BIKE AND MOUNTAIN BIKES.

LOOKING FOR RESELLERS FOR CHINA BICYCLE IMPORT/EXPORT CORP. 
OF CHINA ALL BICYCLES ARE SHIPPED TO SAN FRANCISCO/CHICAGO 
AND MADE IN SHANGHAI.

SELL 4 BICYCLES, YOU WILL GET ONE FREE FOR YOURSELF.

IDEA PERSONALS ARE COLLEGE STUDENTS WHO ARE ACTIVE IN 
THEIR CAMPUSES.

WE CAN ARRANGE DROP MAIL ORDERS FOR YOU. (THAT MEANS YOU 
DO NOT NEED TO STOCK THE BICYCLES IN YOUR HOUSE)

************************************************************
#S9311082

BATTERIES, BOOTS & OTHER HOUSEHOLD STAFF 

MADE IN CHINA.  NEED MARKETING PERSONEL.

=====================================================================
II)  TRADE PROMOTIONS
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ID 402216: Food Production            Type: Regular Catalog Follow o
. Commodity: FOOD PROCESSING AND PACK Dates: NOV. 1 - MAR. 1 '94
. City: Beijing                       State/Country: PRC
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ID 402217: Food Production            Type: Regular Catalog Follow o
. Commodity: FOOD PROCESSING AND PACK Dates: NOV. 1 - MAR. 1 '94
. City: Shanghai                      State/Country: PRC
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ID 402218: Food Production            Type: Regular Catalog Follow o
. Commodity: FOOD PROCESSING AND PACK Dates: NOV. 1 - MAR. 1 '94
. City: Guangzhou                     State/Country: PRC
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ID 402219: Food Production            Type: Regular Catalog Follow o
. Commodity: FOOD PROCESSING AND PACK Dates: NOV. 1 - MAR. 1 '94
. City: Shengyang                     State/Country: PRC
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

III )  CHINA MARKET
 
CHINA - MEAT AND POULTRY PROCESSING EQUIPMENT

SUMMARY

This article is digested from a report titled: "The Meat and Poultry
Processing Equipment Market in China", prepared by John
Muehlke, Jr., American Embassy - Beijing. 

A. OVERVIEW:

     A1.  OVERALL FEATURES OF THE MARKET IN CHINA:  The market in 
China for U.S. meat and poultry processing equipment is good.  In recent 
years, meat production in the PRC has increased about 9 percent per year, 
and the need for processing equipment has grown steadily.  China's 
consumption of meat products has increased as living standards have improved.  The government
has set the goal of increasing per capita annual meat consumption from 23.7
kilograms (1990) to 25 kilograms (2000).  This means that meat production,
and processing, must be raised to 32 million tons per year by 2000.  While
shortages of foreign exchange in some parts of the PRC limit enterprises'
ability to purchase meat packaging and processing equipment, there should be
sales and investment opportunities for U.S. firms in this subsector,
particularly for those Americans willing to help the Chinese export
processing equipment, meat products, or both.

     The meat processing industry is highly decentralized, with many major
decisions being made at the provincial or county level.  While plants are
widespread in China, the areas of major activity are the cities of Shanghai,
Tianjin, and Dalian, and the provinces of Jiangsu, and Zhejiang.  The
provinces of Hunan, Hubei, Henan, Hebei, and Shandong are the major
meat-producing provinces of the PRC.  .

     A2.  THE FORCES THAT HAVE CREATED THIS MARKET:  While the 
statistics on the growth of the food industry are impressive, as of 1990, only 
about five or ten percent of the PRC's total food output was processed.  Food
processing in China has only one way to go, and that is up.  The pressure
from the public and government to move this market quickly forward and to
modernize it is consistent and strong.

     Chinese experts and government officials want to increase the animal
protein intake of the Chinese people.  This means increasing poultry
production, and increasing the proportion of beef and mutton in the people's
diet.  Those who favor keeping the traditional grains and vegetable diet are
not being heard and, in any case, are out of step with what the people want,
which is a diet more like westerners'.

     The government wants to decrease the percentage of the average Chinese
person's intake of pork while increasing the percentage of beef and mutton.
(While Uygurs, Kazaks, and Huis shun the consumption of pork, it is the most
popular meat for the Han majority.)  U.S. equipment firms should study such
customs, and related PRC government policies, carefully.

     A3.  FORCES WHICH WILL INFLUENCE CHANGES IN THIS SUBSECTOR MARKET
VIS-A-VIS U.S. SALES PROSPECTS:  A range of questions should be asked
concerning changes in this market and U.S. sales prospects.  First, will
export credits and other funds be available?  Next, will the U.S.
government's position on the continuation of most favored nation trading
status for China, 301 cases, Customs seizures of Chinese-produced goods, and
other tensions in U.S.-China trade relations impact negatively on this and
other subsector markets?  Third, who in China will be in charge of equipment
purchases if the PRC enters a period of political instability - the central
government or local/regional entities?  This kind of problem now confronts
U.S. exporters to the former parts of the Soviet Union.  Fourth, since the
Chinese economy is beginning to heat up, can we expect that demand for
American meat and poultry processing equipment increase so quickly that U.S.
businesspeople will almost be "forced" to sell whatever they can?  We see
this attitude of strong desire for U.S. products and investments on trips to
the interior of the PRC; there can be no doubt that American business
activity is sorely wanted and that American corporations are not filling the
gap.  It cannot be emphasized strongly enough that most Chinese want much
more U.S. business activity in their country.

     Another factor which will influence change in this subsector market
vis-a-vis U.S. sales prospects:  The 1990 value of all Chinese processed
food exports reached USD 6.5 billion.  However, only a small portion of this
processed food reached the United States.  U.S. food standards - and those
of Japan and Western Europe - are very high.  China wants to export more
processed food to the United States, and it should increase  purchases of
U.S. processing equipment to assure that American food import standards are
reached and maintained.

     A final force which will influence this market is the creation of new
joint-ventures, particularly in southern China, by firms from Taiwan and
Hong Kong.  For example, a decision by the president of a firm like Taiwan's
huge Wei Chuan food company could have a strong effect on China's food
processing industry.

     A4.  THE PRC GOVERNMENT'S ROLE IN SUPPORTING THIS MARKET:  The PRC
government has encouraged the domestic growth of this subsector market
because it wants to reduce the use of foreign exchange for equipment
imports.  For the time being, however, the demand for foreign equipment
remains strong.  The CNFIA (China National Food Industry Association) is the
principal PRC government organization in this subsector.  It was established
in 1981 to coordinate the food industry throughout China.  Its major
responsibilities are to formulate polices and regulations, set product
standards, develop a balanced product mix in the food subsector, and
accelerate the modernization of the food industry.  In 1991, CNFIA sponsored
"China Food '91," an international foodstuffs and food processing and
packaging machinery exhibition in Shenzhen.  (See Section G - "Trade
Promotion Opportunities" - for similar upcoming shows.)

     The Chinese government is stressing the development of the PRC's food
processing industry during the current, Eighth Five-Year Plan (EFYP).  It is
expected that a total of about USD four billion will be invested to upgrade
food processing facilities and develop new food products.  As of early 1991,
the CNFIA had begun work on 180 projects for the EFYP.  The projects' value
is about USD 200 million.

   The Chinese government believes that one way to speed up the development
of the nation's rural areas is to develop the PRC's food processing
industry.  The industry is already well established in prosperous coastal
areas like Guangdong Province.  Now Chinese planners are turning their
attention to inland areas, like Sichuan and Xinjiang.

     With respect to Chinese governmental ministerial responsibilities in
this subsector, the breakdown is roughly as follows:  The PRC's MOC
(Ministry of Commerce) supervises animal slaughtering, controls many meat
processing plants and related purchasing activities.  The MOC supplies meat
to canning plants under the supervision of the MOLI (Ministry of Light
Industry).  The MOH (Ministry of Health) supervises health and sanitation at
meat processing plants.  The MOA (Ministry of Agriculture) is responsible
for poultry raising, related slaughterhouses, and frozen food management.

B.  BEST SALES PROSPECTS:

1.   Complete sets of medium and high-grade automated domestic livestock
     slaughtering equipment
2.   Pork processing machinery (smoke houses, injectors for ham, tenderizing
     machines for ham, and cooking houses)
3.   High-speed, automatic equipment (e.g. sifters, steamers, strainers,
     mixers, canners, packers, and control monitors)
4.   Freezing and cold storage equipment (Note: While there appears to be
     enough very basic refrigeration equipment in China, there is a
     continuing need for quick-freezing systems.)
5.   Pre-processing control equipment packages, which include recovery
     systems, magnetic separators, recording thermometers, sterilizing
     systems, extractors, dryers, and coolers
6.   Irradiation, ultrasonic, infrared and other food preservation
     technologies
7.   Small to medium-scale semi-automatic machinery for small and
     medium-scale food processing firms to prepare those products for local
     markets
8.   Sausage processing equipment (fillers, sealers, high temperature/high
     pressure sterilization equipment)
9.   Animal feeding/feedmill machines
10.  Pigs' blood processing equipment
11.  Slaughterhouse waste material processing equipment
12.  Special cutting and packaging equipment to prepare the prime cuts of
     pork and beef and specialty chicken parts demanded by Japanese buyers
13.  Poultry feeding technologies
14.  Poultry vitamin pre-mixes and trace minerals
15.  Micro-ingredient scales and other pre-mix equipment
16.  Pig confinement system technology and equipment
17.  Livestock transportation equipment and technology
18.  Meat and poultry baby food production machinery (Note:  The baby food
     division of Heinz Foods holds a strong 15 percent of the Chinese
     market.  About 15 million babies are born every year in the PRC, and
     local firms cannot keep up with the demand.)

++++++++++++ E N D ++++++++E N D ++++++++++++++++