Subject: Re: Repeal of the National Speed Limit Law

From: [email-masked] (James Baxter)
Date: 28 Jun 1995 17:55:58 GMT

>What if you're going 75 or 85 in a 55, and the guy in the lane next to 
you
>about 150 feet in front of you has a tire blow out?

How often does this happen even at 55?  Haven't you heard of "safe 
following distances"?  

The National Motorists Associaton supports the Nat'l Maximum SPeed Limit 
(NMSL) repeal.  It's pretty funny to think that state officials care less 
about people's safety than federal officials.  For some reason, people 
are beginning to think that though.

To find out more about the NMA, call 800-882-2785

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Lisker)
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 1995 21:27:45 GMT

>>Have you ever driven to Vegas (where speed is king) and not come across a
>>fatal/serious accadent? Have you noticed how many miles you can drive in
>>the city at slower speeds, with more cars and have fewer serious
>>accidents?
>
>Sorry I can not comment on this one isolated situation.

PL> Well I for one can. It's one thing to see an armadillo or a 
PL> dead skunk in the middle of the road. It's a lot different feeling when
PL> when the "roadkill" is (was) a human being. And let me assure you this
PL> is NOT an isolated situation. I have worked very closely with people
PL> who work on the bridges and highways (particularly but not at all
PL> limited to I-80) and have seen more "roadkill" than I care to 
PL> remember.

>>Mark my words now. I am saying this on the record. If the speed limits are
>>raised by 20 MPH or more there will be an immediate increase in accidents
>>and fatalities in those cars not equipped with air bags. The greatest
>>increase will be of people under 30 years old.

PL> And also people OVER 65 (or whatever).
PL> When my father was temporarily incapacitated I PLEADED with the DMV to
PL> NOT let him drive but they were ready to give him his license back.  
PL> The only reason he wasn't on the road was because I essentially took his
PL> car away from him. He's fine now (and also grateful).

>I hope I have made my point quite clear.  The slogen "speed kills" is a 
>big misconception that almost every one belives but the NMA and the few 
>intelligent non-NMA members out there. 

PL> I believe you are dead wrong here.
PL> I had the chance to speak with a man by the name of Dr. Bill Wattenberg
PL> the other day. (He's the guy who was responsible in a large part for 
PL> gettingroads & bridges back in place so quickly after the Northridge 
PL> Quake...
PL> we're still waiting up here in SF). If I unsterstood him correctly, 
PL> even though 65 is only 18% greater than 55 the FORCE OF IMPACT is
PL> *40%* greater. Same goes for gasoline consumption in the average car.
PL> Even if he is in error here you don't have to be a physics major to
PL> to figure out that if you hit a brick wall, another vehicle or 
PL> whatever you have a greater chance of being hurt the faster you are
PL> travelling. AND the extra gas you are using today means your kids will
PL> have to pay more for this non renewable resource in the future. I'm not
PL> saying people should drive 55 in the fast lane as it's both ILLEGAL and
PL> dangerous (not to mention selfish) to do so. I DO think there are 
PL> places where 65 (or whatever) is appropriate. Unfortunately as people
PL> age their reflexes slow down and since we have to share the road with
PL> these people we need to remember that not everybody has the reflexes of
PL> Indy 500 drivers (except of course all of us who read this group :).

PL> Even if we extract every last barrell of oil from the Arctic and offshore
PL> reserves, eventually we will run out. So until we can find alternative
PL> ways of powering our vehicles what's wrong with driving without a lead
PL> foot on the gas pedal and slowing down a bit.

PL> One last thought. If everybody in the country would just do something
PL> real simple and make sure their vehicles are properly tuned and that
PL> their tires are correctly inflated we'd save just that much more fuel for
PL> for our kids. Yes I know this can sometimes be a great sacrifice but I'd
PL> rather do that than have to send my kid off to some foreign land to die
PL> so that I can drive as fast as I goddamn please.

PL> Wheteher or not you agree with me on any of the above points I hope you
PL> will all drive defensively and that if we DO ever run into eachother
PL> it won't be on the highway :).

-- 

                    "When you vote for the lesser of two evils,
		     you still end up with EVIL!" - anon

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Williams)
Date: 30 Jun 1995 10:37:36 GMT

In message ID <[email-masked]> on 6/30/95, AAPR RB posted:

AR> The Gallup Organization conducted a survey in which drivers rated their
AR> own ability compaired to others on the road. 70% of the respondants
AR> claimed to have better driving ability than other drivers on the road,
AR> with nearly half stating their driving aptitude as 'excellent'. Only 36%
AR> of people reported that they usually drive above the speed limit. (The
AR> Gallup Organization)

This survey does not prove that only 36% of people usually drive above the
speed limit. It proves that approximately 64% of people lie to pollsters.

Try taking a survey of how many people consider themselves racist. Probably
1-2%.

Try taking a survey of how many people buy hard-core pornography. Probably
1-2%.

What a ridiculous source to cite.

*** The Los Angeles Macintosh Group does not support free expression and
political diversity. I suggest you do not respond to messages originating
from lamg.com ***

- "Hey, wait, I've got a new complaint" - Nirvana

--

****************************************************************************
 Sent via Earth Spirit Online - The Environmental Network - Los Angeles, CA
         for more information send e-mail to: [email-masked]
****************************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (Dan Howell)
Date: 14 Jul 1995 09:09:26 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (David Pletcher)
writes:
> In article <[email-masked]>, AAPR RB <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> >Assuming that all traffic will stay at the same average speed even with an
> >increase in posted speed limit and without adjusting to the newer speed
> >over time is unsound logic and psychology.
> 
> It was also the conclusion of a reputable study performed by one of
> the federal highway agencies.  I don't have the reference, but
> hopefully one of the other posters will oblige by posting it.
> Ignoring the results of this study just because it disagrees with
> your intuition is unsound logic and psychology too.
> -- David Pletcher

The study, "Effects of Raising and Lowering Speed Limits", Report
No. FHWA-RD-92-084, October 1992, is available at:

  http://www.clark.net/pub/kevina/sl/sl-irrel.html

---
Dan Howell  <[email-masked]>