Subject: Kevin's posts

From: [email-masked] (KENNY MORSE)
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 1995 17:40:15

Kevin......

First, I REALLY appreciate the fact that your are taking so much time,
effort and a HOMEPAGE to devote to this issue, so let me state
that up front.  At least YOU, unlike so many whiners, are trying
to focus attention to your cause, and rally support in a MEANINGFUL
way, so I applaud you.  I only wish yoour position reflected what I know
to be just the opposite:

In the first study you posted, you showed me figures that are over
20 YEARS OLD!!!  People's driving habits have changed so
radically over this time, ESPECIALLY HERE IN CALIFORNIA!
I don't know where you live, but here in L.A., during the 1984
Olympics is an excellent example of how things have changed.  During
that time, there were staggered working hours.  The road congestions
has lessened, there was more compliance with the speed limit because
of that, and hey...PEOPLE WERE NICE TO EACH OTHER!!!!!
Every year since then, it has deteriorated.  I have noticed the changes
in the natures of the attitudes over the 8 years I have been teaching
drivers who happen to get caught (out of the rest of then who behave
the SAME way, but too many lawbreakers, so few cops).  So, this
study, as interesting as it might have been, tells me nothing.

As for the second study you posted, this dude took 200 samples????
That's NOT a study. That is slice of something, but nothing I recognize.
Anyway, YOU tell ME....when the speed limit goes up to 50 from 35,
YOU believe that people won't exceed it??  REALLY???
If ONLY that were true, I could devote my full time to my job at CBS,
and not spend 8 hours a week with these people.

Kev...as I said, I appreciate your time and effort, but in my classes,
I do NOT use studies....percentages etc. to explain MY position 
because most people realize that few studies reflect any general reality,
and usually a skewed or biased reality from the get go.  Only when the
study agrees with one's position is it accepted, isn't it?  If the study
showed what I say is really happening,  YOU'D be saying it's flawed
or skewed.

I like your homepage.....mine will be up and running this week and in it
I discuss the 55 issue and link people to the WhiteHouse, this and other
newsgroups to further discuss it.  When it is up, I will invite you to
browse it, and if you like it, I will be happy to link yours in return for
the courtesy.  It is an introduction to me, the topics I discuss (of
which speeding is NOT the #1 topic) an invite for free help if people
need it and my shopping area with t-shirts and other stuff I designed.

Kenny Morse
"Mr. Traffic"