Voyager system and Special Collections cataloging

Dear all--

The informal Special Collections cataloging group at the University
of Georgia has begun meeting to discuss the display, indexing and
retrieval of archival and rare book records in our newly
implemented Voyager system. As such, we would like to ask other
Special Collections departments using Voyager to access  their
collections to comment on their experiences with the system.

Currently, we catalog manuscript and archival materials,
archival moving image collections, and rare book collections. (In the
future we look forward to creating archival records for our sound
collections).  At this time, our concerns fall chiefly into record
retrieval issues and display issues.

As for retrieval problems, we seem to be experiencing difficulties
accessing records while using the type and medium limits. We also have
concerns about weighting issues for determining relevancy rankings.
For example, do you weigh your summary/scope & content notes more
heavily than the bare minimum? Have you encountered difficulties in
doing so? Do you feel your patrons are finding your records in the
OPAC easily and efficiently? What features seem to assist patron
access? Can patrons search the 655 field (form and genre field)
explicitly while using the "precision" search?

On the display side, how are your brief and full display records
configured? Did you have much input into the field selection decision?
Do you feel your current display adequately orients users to your
collections?

We would welcome any and all comments on your experiences using
Voyager. Thanks in advance.

Sheila McAlister
Electronic Access Coordinator
Richard B. Russell Library