re: Rom. 8:27

David Moore (dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com)
Fri, 10 May 1996 11:21:08 -0700

mfox@ms.rose.cc.ok.us wrote:

> Marion Fox here:
>
> I have asked several questions about finite verbs and two persons
responded
> to my questions. I am grateful to those who responded to my
questions. I
> should like to trouble you some more on this subject.
>
> In Romans 8:27 the subject of the sentence is HO. . .EREUNON. . .(The
one
> searching) is it not?

Although the tense is present, the participle need not be
translated as present action (Marion used a gerund). Something like
"He who searches" is probably better here.

> The finite verb OIDE (He knows) is something the subject is doing is
it
> not? By this I mean is the subject of this finite verb "The one
searching"
> the hearts?

Again, the sense of time is not what is important here, but the
fact of the Father's *knowing*. OIDEN could be called a perfect with
present force, and if the perfect form of the verb has some impact
here, it has to do more with the completeness of the knowing than with
its place on the scale of time.

> Question: What is the subject of the finite verb ENTUGCHANEI (He
makes
> intercession-verse 27)? What rule of grammar/syntax have you used to
> determine the subject of this verb?

The subject of ENTUGXANEI is the Holy Spirit, who in v. 26 is
referred to as the one who hUPERENTUGXANEI for us with unexpressable
groans.

> Question: Is there a difference between ENTUGCHANEI HUPER (He
makes
> intercession in behalf of-verse 27) and HUPERENTUGCHANEI (He makes
> intercession in behalf - verse 26)?

It appears that there is definitely a rhetorical device here in
which Paul is using a play on words.

IMO, the key to interpretation of this passage is how one
treats the final clause in v. 27. Most translations make this clause a
continuation of the thought in the beginning of the verse. But,
rather, it gives an explanation of the meaning of the Spirit's
"groanings." The hOTI is to be taken as "that," not "because" or
"for." So the verse goes something like this: "But He who searches
the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is: that according to
God['s will] He intercedes for the saints."

> It would be helpful if a list of standardized transliteration would
be
> published on B-GREEK. I hope I have used the standard form for
B-GREEK.

You should be able to find this at the web site that has the
b-greek archives. Try at my URL below and look under "Linguistic
Resources."

--
David L. Moore                             Director
Miami, Florida, USA                        Department of Education