Re: polus ischuw deaysis dikaios energew

brent justin anduaga-arias (barias@unm.edu)
Fri, 24 May 1996 16:39:47 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 24 May 1996, James H. Vellenga wrote:

> Let me suggest something a little unorthodox. I like "succeed" for ISCUW
> and "work inwardly" for ENERGEW. Hence, assuming the present participle
> (from my text), I get something like
>
> An appeal of an upright [person] succeeds in [doing] a lot [as it
> keeps] working inwardly.

Ug! No offense, but that translation reminds me of the "translationese"
discussion on this forum about four months ago. For those of you who
don't remember, it works like this.

*Imagine a Spanish text that says (in English words):*
You should make certain to remove your shoes before entering the
locker room. You must shower using soap before entering the pool. Thankyou.

*Now here is the English "translationese" of the hypothetical Spanish above.*
Take the wrapping off of your meat before inserting into cubby room. You
must water pouring out onto you and also soap inserting afterward into
water. Thankyou.

Jim, could you provide a non-"translationese" version of your unorthodox
translation? I would like to get the jist of what it is you are seeing.

Brent