Re: Latinisms: did you find anything useful?

08 Sep 96 13:27:21 EDT

At 12:27 PM -0500 9/8/96, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>Carl,
>
>Did you find anything useful in BDR?

Whenever I see those initials, I think of the old DDR; I was once a Mitfahrer stopped at a checkpoint on the highway from Munich to Berlin. When I offered my passport to the young lady Vopo, she was shocked:"Sind Sie denn wirklich Amerikaner?" In those days, most Americans either flew in or out or took the military train to Berlin. I'm glad that division is over with; my driver said, "I just hope I live long enough to be able to drive anywhere in Germany without having to show a passport."

I haven't checked BDR--I haven't even checked BDF. Just beginning a new semester and spending far too much time even responding to e-mail and watching a marvelous string of Cardinal victories that we hope may lead to a pennant and WS after a long drought. But I haven't forgotten my question, and I was reminded yesterday by an offline response to what I'd said about the verse, "The Son of Man OUX EXEI POU THN KEFALHN KLINHi, which I surmise to be a Latinism, for the coresponding Latin would be NON HABET UBI CAPUT SUUM DEPONAT. I'll get back to it, thank you.