Re: Jabberwocky

Mike Luper (mluper@csufresno.edu)
Sun, 08 Dec 1996 03:57:14 -0800

David Long wrote:

> XAIREIN,
>
> At 05:08 PM 12/7/96 -0500, Jonathan Robie wrote:
> >At 04:36 PM 12/7/96 EST, Mark B. O'Brien wrote:

> >>Where did I put that lexicon....
> >
> > http://www.perseus.tufts.edu
> >
> >But I have to amend my start:
> >
> >HN BRILLIG, KAI hAI TOFAI SLIQAI
> >EGIRSAN KAI GIMPLESAN EN TW OUEIMPW
> >
> >I'm sure that's not quite right. Writing Greek is pretty tough
> >for me. Help!
> >
> >Also, can anybody do better with "wabe" here?
> >
> >Jonathan
> >

> Of course, there's also the question of whether we should transliterate or
> try to do some dynamic equivalence (e.g., for "mimsey", derived from
> "miserable" and "flimsy", we could concoct something corresponding to the
> components). Certainly it would be easier to transliterate, but think of
> the future generations who will wrestle with conflicting understandings of
> the transliterated term!
>
> Since I'm new to the list, perhaps I could say that I'm a former student of
> Carl Conrad. (Hi, professor!) I'm very grateful to those who are
> maintaining and contributing to this list.
>
> David Long
> Software Engineer, Strata Group, St. Louis, MO
> 314.770.9749 fax: 314.770.9699
> dal@strata-group.com

I thought perhaps with a former student of Carl's on the list, and given
the previous thread concerning anecdotal accounts relating to various
scholars, perhaps David Long would have some information along this line
to share with the list regarding Carl <G>

Just a thought ;-)

--

Michael Luper 37 Carolina Ave. M.B. Biblical Seminary Clovis, CA 93611 mluper@csufresno.edu (209) 322-0239 http://lennon.pub.csufresno.edu/~mdl18/