Re: Mari Broman (was Aorist resources)

Mon, 9 Dec 1996 16:11:12 -0600

One point needs to be said about these examples: it is not usually argued
that the aorist has tense (time) reference outside the indicative, although
the participle not infrequently seems to indicate action preceding that of
the main verb. But infinitives, participles, subjunctives, imperatives:
these in the aorist ought normally, I think, to be understood in terms of
aspect rather than time.

At 2:29 PM -0600 12/9/96, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>I did a Gramcord search for NUN followed by aorist verbs, and picked up a
>bunch of examples which make a lot more sense using Mari Broman's approach:
>
>Roma 11:31 outws kai outoi ***nun ***hpeiqhsan tw umeterw eleei, ina kai
>autoi ***(nun) ***elehqwsin.
>
>The first example is usually translated "have been disobedient", but using
>Mari's theory we would translate "disobey". The second example here is
>usually translated "now be shown mercy", with present reference, because it
>is hard to bring in past reference.
>
>But why should the first instance be translated differently than the second
>instance? Mari's theory just makes more sense here.
>

>1Cor 16:12 Peri de Apollw tou adelfou, polla parekalesa auton, ina elqh pro=
>umas meta twn adelfwn: kai pantws ouk hn qelhma ina ***nun ***elqh:
>eleusetai de otan eukairhsh.
>
>It was not his will to go now. Very hard to interpret this with past refere=
nt.

>John 13:36 Legei autw Simwn Petros: kurie, pou upageis; apekriqh (autw)
>Ihsous: opou upagw ou dunasai moi ***nun ***akolouqhsai, akolouqhseis de
>usteron.
>
>You can't follow me now. The NUN gives it a present reference. It is
>difficult to interpret the aorist with a past referent here.
>
>Jonathan

>Jonathan Robie
>POET Software, 3207 Gibson Road, Durham, N.C., 27703
>Ph: 919.598.5728 Fax: 919.598.6728
>email: jwrobie@mindspring.com, jonathan@poet.com
>http://www.poet.com <--- shockwave enabled!

Carl W. Conrad