[Fwd: Re: genitives]

Lee R. Martin (lmartin@voyageronline.net)
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 07:51:34 -0800

--------------3E832EAB5D1F

This message was originally undelivered

--
Lee R. Martin

--------------3E832EAB5D1F Content-Type: message/rfc822 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: inline

Randy Leedy wrote: > > In the thread on strings of genitives (e.g. EIS TO EPAINON DOXHS THS > CARITOS AUTOU) I didn't see any mention of a point that does deserve > consideration here: the Semitic use of the genitive as a substitute > for an adjective.

I agree with you in theory, but the following example from the Psalms would illustrate the proper word order in such a construct chain:

a b c c b a (Psalm 48) the mountain of the holiness of him = His holy mountain

a b c c b a (Hebrews) the word of the power of him = his powerful word

a b c c b a the praise of the glory of the grace of him = praise of his gracious glory

--
Lee R. Martin
Part-Time Instructor in Hebrew and Biblical Studies

--------------3E832EAB5D1F--