[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Machen's grammar

I agree with your comments about Machen.  It was my first intro to Greek
and its simplicity is still appealing.  I agree also that it is quite
dated in several respects and is probably not to be preferred over other
grammars at this point.  Efird's grammar is a good example of a Machen
-like grammar:  short, to the point, etc.  But it is updated in style
and language.  The sentences are "artificial" which for me is both
good and bad:  good in that students can not read from "memory";  bad in
that students don't get to read actual koine until after the book is
finished.  I have not used Efird's grammar in teaching, but it  strikes
me as being so brief as to need an instructor.
James Efird, _A Grammar for NT Greek_ Abingdon, 1990.

Gary D. Collier
University of Denver/Iliff School of Theology
gcollier@du.edu