Agape & Phileo

The following message refers to the "Do you love me?"
conversation between Peter and Jesus in John 21.
Please comment.

Begin forwarded message:

Since this is a board on exegesis, and since it has taken all of one
day for
the first really egregious exegetical fallacy to appear, I thought I
simply point out that regardless of how devotionally beatiful the use
agapao or phileo may seem, it is merely a change in verb to eliminate
monotony. A serious study of the relevant articles in Kittel's
Dictionary of the NT (Yes, the big one; the "little Kittel" is too
and in Brown's Theo. Dict. of NT Theo. will show that the customary
explanation is less rooted in good linguistic Greek usage than in

May I point everyone to D. A. Carson's Exegetical Fallacies, Baker,
1984, p. 30
and pp. 52 and 53 for a discussion of this very phenomenon in John

| Jim F. Hill               |                              |
| 301 S. 20th St., Ste 201  |  All men who have turned out |
| Birmingham, AL 35233      |  worth anything have had     |
| USA                       |  the chief hand in their     |
| Tel: (205)731-9670        |  own education.              |
| Fax: (205)731-9856        |                              |
| Internet: jim@hsf.uab.edu |   -Sir Walter Scott-         |