[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Onoma in Mt. 28:19

Matt. 28:19 has frequently been used in (traditional, orthodox)
discussions of the trinity in light of the singular onoma followed
by three personal designations linked by kai (tou patros kai tou
hiou kai tou hagiou pneumatos). This is the only occurence of such
a construction in the NT (based on acCordance search: onoma + gen.
art. w. noun + kai + gen. art. w. noun). I wondered if there might
be similar use in extra biblical Greek, but donUt have access to
TLG to check. It would be significant (I think) if the singular
onoma were ever used with multiple names/titles/designations in
pre-biblical Greek. Has anyone ever run across such a construction
or would anyone with TLG access (and the time to do so!) care to
run a search? Thanks.

Rod

Rodney J. Decker
Assistant Professor of Greek and Theology
Calvary Theological Seminary, Kansas City
(94-95 sabbatical explains the Univ. of Wisc. address!)