From: Paul Dixon - Ladd Hill Bible Church <pauld@iclnet93.iclnet.org>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 1995 17:14:13 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Acts 19:1

ooooooooc

------------------------------

From: Robert Kraft <kraft@ccat.sas.upenn.edu>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 1995 23:07:23 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: PSCO 32 Final Meetings

Please feel free to cross-post as appropriate.

PHILADELPHIA SEMINAR ON CHRISTIAN ORIGINS
in its 32nd year

                             an Interdisciplinary Humanities Seminar
                                           under the auspices of the
                                          UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA
                                     Department of Religious Studies
                             Box 36 College Hall, Philadelphia 19104

TOPIC FOR 1994-95:  ETHNICITY, IDENTITY AND ALTERITY

Chairpersons:
David Sandmel (University of Pennsylvania)
  dsandmel@ccat.sas.upenn.edu

Ross S. Kraemer (Center for Judaic Studies, Univ of Penn)
  kraemer@mail.cjs.upenn.edu (215 238-1290, ext. 123)

Secretary:  Allen Kerkeslager (Center for Judaic Studies, Univ of Penn)
  kerkeslager@mail.cjs.upenn.edu

Coordinator:  Robert Kraft (University of Pennsylvania)
  kraft@ccat.sas.upenn.edu (215 898-5827)

This announcement covers TWO meetings in the final week of April -- a
hitherto unnanounced SPECIAL MEETING on Monday the 24th, and THE FINAL
MEETING on Thursday, April 27. Information on another local lecture of
possible interest is also appended. Please read all sections!

1. A SPECIAL combined MEETING of PSCO, Penn's Jewish Studies Program,
Kraft's Dead Sea Scrolls Seminar Class at Penn, and other interested
persons will be held from 6:30 - 8:00 pm (note the earlier time) on Monday
the 24th of April in a room to be announced either in Houston Hall (35th
and Spruce) or in the Van Pelt Library -- details will be posted on the
door of Duhring Wing (see below for location) and elsewhere. The speaker
will not be available for dinner beforehand, although others may gather at
5:30 as usual (see below) if they so desire.

The special visitor will be Professor Lawrence SCHIFFMAN from NYU, who
will address the issues of selfdefinition and alterity in the DSS
materials. The format will be an informal interview, in order to provide
ample opportunity for wide-ranging discussion. Larry Schiffman has been
extremely active in DSS research in recent years, and especially in
exploring some of the halakhic dimensions and connections of the
materials.  His recent book from the Jewish Publication Society entitled
<t>Reclaiming the DSS</> (1994) provides a valuable synthesis and
overview of his current position.

2. The FINAL MEETING of the 1994-95 will be held at 7pm on Thursday, 27
April, in the Gates Room of the Van Pelt Library (34th & Walnut Sts.) on
the Penn campus.  Persons wishing to dine with other seminar participants
prior to the meeting should meet at 6 pm at Duhring Wing (just north of
the small parking lot behind Irvine Auditorium (34th and Spruce Streets).
If you need further information, please contact any one of the
above-listed officials.

Program

David Efroymson, LaSalle University,
Gentiles, Jews and other "Others" in Early Christian Texts

There will also be a brief discussion of topics for 1995-96.  Please come
with suggestions for topics, speakers and possible chair or co-chairs.

[[Note: Some of you may be interested also in a lecture scheduled for
4:00 - 5:15 on the same day, Thursday the 27th, by

James L. Kugel (Starr Professor of Hebrew Literature, Harvard), on the
"Ladder of Jacob" Pseudepigraphon and its Relation to other Early
Interpretations of Genesis 28, including the Fourth Gospel.

This will be held in Van Til Hall at the Westminster Theological Seminary,
about half an hour by car from the University. For further details,
contact Prof. Tremper Longman III (phone:  215 572-3836; Internet:
72114.14@compuserve.com) at the Seminary.]]

//end//