John 2,24 αὐτὸν

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Peter Streitenberger

John 2,24 αὐτὸν

Post by Peter Streitenberger »

Friends,

in John 2,24 we read: αὐτὸς δὲ Ἰησοῦς οὐκ ἐπίστευεν αὐτὸν αὐτοῖς διὰ τὸ αὐτὸν γινώσκειν πάντας (Nestle-Aland)

How should we translate αὐτὸν here ? For "himself" I'd expect the reflexive form hEAUTON (as the Byz text reads).

Thank you !
Peter, Germany
www.streitenberger.com
cwconrad

Re: John 2,24 αὐτὸν

Post by cwconrad »

Peter Streitenberger wrote:Friends,

in John 2,24 we read: αὐτὸς δὲ Ἰησοῦς οὐκ ἐπίστευεν αὐτὸν αὐτοῖς διὰ τὸ αὐτὸν γινώσκειν πάντας (Nestle-Aland)

How should we translate αὐτὸν here ? For "himself" I'd expect the reflexive form hEAUTON (as the Byz text reads).

Thank you !
Peter, Germany
http://www.streitenberger.com
If this were Classical Attic, you might indeed expect ἑαυτὸν, but in the Koine oblique-case forms of αὐτὸς are quite commonly used in a reflexive sense. Cf. BDF §283.
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Peter Streitenberger

Dear Dr. Conrad,

thank you for this clarification ! What do you think of the Spiritus Asper Westcott/Hort used in Joh 2,24: αὑτὸν (hAUTON)?

Thank you again !

Yours
Peter Streitenberger, Germany
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

Peter Streitenberger wrote:Dear Dr. Conrad,

thank you for this clarification ! What do you think of the Spiritus Asper Westcott/Hort used in Joh 2,24: αὑτὸν (hAUTON)?
I'm not a textual critic. I see that Holmes in the SBL GNT has αὑτόν. Several codices have ἑαυτόν. Metzer's note on the UBS4 text (αὐτόν) reads:
2.24 αὐτόν (1) {C}

In place of the first αὐτόν, many witnesses clarify the sense by writing ἑαυτόν (P66 ℵ2 Ac Wsupp Θ Ψ al). Although the word was omitted (probably accidentally) by a few copyists, the Committee judged that there was sufficiently weighty support (ℵ* A* B L 700 al) to warrant including it.
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Peter Streitenberger

Dear Dr. Conrad,
I thought αὑτόν was an Attic form and not common in Koine Greek.
Yours
Peter

Return to “New Testament”