Re: "Future of preference for many"

From: Nichael Lynn Cramer (
Date: Wed Sep 06 1995 - 19:53:08 EDT

Edward Hobbs wrote:
>May I add a footnote to Edgar Krentz's comments on the changes in the
>future tense of American English?
> He points out that "go" plus the infinitive is the future of
>preference for many Americans these days, as in "I'm going to east
>[corr: "eat"] pizza tonight."

Forgive me if I'm wrong but, the preference may be incresing, this usage
itself is quite old is it not? I had always assumed that it had its roots
in French, which has the precisely parallel construct: i.e. "Je vais

Nichael - "...did I forget, forget to mention Memphis? Home of Elvis, and the ancient Greeks."