Re: Calling Jesus God

From: Charles David Miller (
Date: Fri Sep 22 1995 - 16:51:39 EDT

On Fri, 22 Sep 1995, Mark O'Brien wrote:

> Original message sent on Fri, Sep 22 9:25 AM by (Carl
> W. Conrad) :
> > I don't think I would read Mk 2:6-7 to mean that Jesus claimed to BE
> > God but that he claimed authority which, in their view, only God
> > could legitimately claim

> I see your point and the distinction you are making. You may well be right in
> drawing a distinction between claiming to be God and claiming to have the
> authority of God... I need to ponder that one for a while.
> Another passage come to mind... how would you interpret Peter's confession in Mt
> 16:16?

But Jesus using the term Abba for God, which indeed may be authentic,
denotes a different relationship to God than prophets or priests used.
Also, Jesus did not *speak* as a representative of God (like the prophets
said they did) but *worked* deeds and did things that no prophet had ever

Chuck Miller

Charles David Miller, University of New Mexico (graduate student in
philosophy, with an emphasis in philosophy of psychology) Department of
Philosophy Home: (505) 867-1892 Work: (505) 883-5959

"God grant the philosopher insight into what lies in front of everyone's

[Moge Gott dem Philosophen Einsicht geben in das, was vor allen Augen
                                --Ludwig Wittgenstein