Re: NA27 apparatus perplexity

From: Mark O'Brien (Mark_O'Brien@dts.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 11 1995 - 14:04:07 EDT

Original message sent on Mon, Oct 9 9:05 PM by rdecker@accunet.com (Rod Decker)
:

> 2. Mark 8:35 (this one is a bit more complex; I'll try to summarize)
> The two variants are marked with: Represented below
as:
> a. the right angle substitution bracket, and [apolesei
> b. the dotted oblique angle substitution brackets: <tHn psuchHn
autou>

> The two variants are not divided with the usual vertical line in the
> apparatus, but instead are joined with 'et' [and]. The question is
> basically, why the 'et' here? In more detail, if you have time, how is the
> evidence to be sorted out?

I think (and I may well be wrong here), but there are basically four
variants at work here:

1. There are some MSS that have APOLESH as opposed to APOLESEI.

2. There are some MSS that have both APOLESH as opposed to
APOLESEI and which also read THN EAUTOU VUXHN following this.

3. There are some MSS which read AUTHN for AUTOU.

4. And then there is the reading as it stands in the text.

I think (and I could well be wrong) that the "et" is being used to identify
MSS that have option 1 above, and those which have both option 2 (and
also possibly option 1 - see MSS W and 2427), and then we revert back to normal
format. That's just my guess... does anybody have a better
suggestion?

Mark O'Brien