Re: Romans 3:22-23

From: Timothy Bratton (bratton@acc.jc.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 19 1995 - 15:53:07 EDT

On Wed, 4 Oct 1995 WINBROW@aol.com wrote:

> Timothy Bratton wrote;
> > But this verse just doesn't make sense. If the aorist tense is understood
> > as a one time completed action in the past, how could "all have sinned."
> Is
> > Paul perhaps taking some poetic license here?
>
> I would agree with others who have suggested that you are using the aorist in
> too restricted a sense. I think also that Frank Stagg published an article
> in the JBL years ago entitled, "The Abused Aorist."
>
> In Brooks & Winbery Romans 3:23 is used as an example of the Gnomic Aorist
> (I'm not sure what Prof. Whatmouth would call it). By Gnomic we take it to
> be a statement of a general maxim, i.e., something that is universally true.
> Remember the sentence begins in vs. 22, "There is no distinction (between
> Jew and Gentile) because all sin and continually come short of the glory of
> God." This is the summation of the point that Paul has been making since
> 1:18. Don't think of aorist as "one time" action or as all in the past. It
> can be but often is not.
>
> I hope Ellen gets her toilet fixed.
>
> Carlton Winbery
> Pineville, LA

Dr. Timothy L. Bratton bratton@acc.jc.edu
Department of History/Pol. Science work: 1-701-252-3467, ext. 2022
6006 Jamestown College home: 1-701-252-8895
Jamestown, ND 58405 home phone/fax: 1-701-252-7507

        "All ignorance is dangerous, and most errors must be dearly
paid. And good luck must he have that carries unchastised an error in
his head unto his death." -- Arthur Schopenhauer.

Dear Dr. Winbery:
        Thank you for your prompt reply. However, I did not originate
the passage you cited, which I quoted from the sender, the mysterious
"JClar100@aol.com." I do wish that people would make more effort to
identify themselves.
        I share your sentiments about Ellen and her toilet problems, but
I am sure that by now she is flushed with success. 8-[)