Re: Ephesians 4:11ff

From: Kenneth Litwak (kenneth@sybase.com)
Date: Fri Oct 20 1995 - 04:13:47 EDT

> Before I ask my question, I just want to say that it has been a
> privilege to read the mail from this list for the last year and a
> half. It is refreshing to read the many faceted perspectives when
> discussing various biblical passages, and I hope that I too may
> reap the benefits of your input.
>
> My questions have to do with Ephesians 4:11ff:
>
> 1. Do any of you know any specific resources that focus on the
> historical background to the way these five terms were understood
> in the First Century?

  Not to seem uncooperative, but you should be able to obtain the
info asked for in #1 (and probably #2) in any good commentary on
Ephesians (Bruce, Reicke, etc.) or possibly, NIDNNT, ed. by Colin
Brown. The same would apply to #2, where you may also find bibliography
pointing you to further information. This is not to say these questions
are inappropriate here, but often nothing is quite like reading a
commentary which focuses on the Greek text and provides additional
bibliography.

Ken