Ephesians 4:11ff

From: rbarnes@ucoc.dgsys.com
Date: Fri Oct 20 1995 - 21:07:51 EDT

Before I ask my question, I just want to say that it has been a
privilege to read the mail from this list for the last year and a
half. It is refreshing to read the many faceted perspectives when
discussing various biblical passages, and I hope that I too may
reap the benefits of your input.

My questions have to do with Ephesians 4:11ff:

1. Do any of you know any specific resources that focus on the
historical background to the way these five terms were understood
in the First Century?

2. Can "tous de poimenas kai didaskalous" be understood as two
separate and distinct roles? Many have joined these two together
(Pastor-teachers). I'm not so sure about this, because it seems
that Luke may have understood didaskalos in Acts 13:1 as a distinct
role from that of Elder in Acts 20 (that is if you see Pastor and
Elder as the same role and function). What do ya'll think?

Name: Robert D. Barnes
E-mail: rbarnes@dgs.dgsys.com, or rabrnes@ucoc.dgsys.com