Re: TO TELEION / 1 Cor. 13:10

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 24 1995 - 07:33:30 EST

My thanks to both David and Bruce for these most recent contributions to
the thread on this interesting and important verse in a critical chapter in
a very critical NT textual sequence. It is a demonstration of either the
circles in which I move (liberal Protestantism, I confess it) or(/and) my
ignorance of history of theological interpretation that I was really
surprised to see the interpretation of 13:10 in terms of fulfilment of
scripture. Bruce and David have really helped to illuminate this history as
regards the passage, and have also, I think, confirmed (to my satisfaction,
at least) the much more likely eschatological sense it holds.

The only thing I would add to the discussion of hOTE and hOTAN is that Paul
does tend to illustrate theological points by using the first-person
example, most notably elsewhere, though not exclusively, in Romans 7.

Carl W. Conrad
(314) 935-4018