Re: Meaning of POIETE

From: Trevor Nicholls (
Date: Sun Feb 18 1996 - 19:33:54 EST

->Now, "poiete" is used whenever a command is given to repeat something, so I'm
->assuming that this is the reason why it was translated as "do" instead of
->"offer" in the two New Testament passages mentioned above. Can the other key
->word in the command for repetition of the last supper rite, remembrance, offer
->any clues? The Greek word used is "anamnesis," and the only other instance
->that it is used in the New Testament besides Luke 22:19 and 1 Cor. 11:25 is
->Hebrews 10:3, which reads:"Those sacrifices are an annual reminder (anamnesis)
->of sins."

I think there is a clear distinction between "remembrance" and "reminder", and
'anamnesis' according to my sources definitely means the first of these.

A reminder brings back to mind something we have forgotten, whereas a remembrance
is made precisely because we *haven't* forgotten.

This is an important point about the last supper! And perhaps about the burden
of sacrifices under the Law...

  Trevor Nicholls, InForm Group Ltd, PO Box 1444, Wellington, New Zealand.
     Ph: +64 4 472 0996 Fax: +64 4 473 2407 Email: