Re: Spicq's lexicon & linguistics

From: David Moore (
Date: Wed Apr 03 1996 - 22:40:33 EST

On Wed, 3 Apr 1996, Eric Weiss wrote:

> On a related subject: I was talking today with the bookstore manager at the
> college where I'm taking 2nd-year Greek about the value of linguistics for
> interpreting the biblical text (he has had 7 years of Greek and 10 years or
> so of Hebrew in addition to classes in linguistics). He said most of the
> stuff out there, being lexically based and not linguistically based, and
> analysing words diachronically instead of synchronically, is of little value
> -- he described Kittel's TDNT as "worthless" or "useless" (I can't remember
> which!). When I asked him what he does or would do with things like New
> Int'l Dict of New Test Theol and Theol Wordbook of the Old Test (both of
> which I have, paying $88 for the first and $40 for the second -- excellent
> sale prices), he said he doesn't (and wouldn't) use them!
> Any thoughts from the scholars out there about these remarks? I know David
> Allan Black, who has linguistics expertise, recommends NIDNTT in his book on
> using Greek in ministry.

        Just a personal observation: Although the TDNT has been criticized
for a linguistically unsophisticated approach to Greek lexicography, that
approach has not contaminated all it contains. Kittle contains many
exegetical insights that cannot be found elsewhere. So, I would suggest,
that if your friend has a "worthless" copy of the TDNT on a bookshelf
somewhere, tell him you'd be glad to take it off his hands.

David L. Moore Southeastern Spanish District
Miami, Florida of the Assemblies of God Department of Education