The "morals" in parables

From: Nichael Lynn Cramer (nichael@sover.net)
Date: Thu Apr 18 1996 - 09:59:17 EDT

>I think it is worth noting that, although most parables in the gospels
>are not explicitly interpreted, the small number that are (by Jesus
>himself, as well) are given an allegorical meaning.

A question: Is there any scholarly consensus on which (if any) of these
explanations/expositions are held to be "authentic"?

Most of the commentary I've seen tend to attribute such explanatory glosses
to a later, redactional layer in the composition of the gospel. I.e. the
model seems to be that Jesus (in analogy to, for example, Aesop) dealt
simply in parables. It was his followers who later supplied the "morals".

Nichael
nichael@sover.net __
http://www.sover.net/~nichael Be as passersby -- IC