From: Carl W. Conrad (
Date: Thu Apr 25 1996 - 13:49:09 EDT

At 11:17 AM -0600 4/25/96, wrote:
> Friends,
> I am studying Paul's Christology in Philippians. Have any of you done much
> work on the phrase EN CHRISTOS, which seems to be peculiar mostly to Paul?
> Please email me privately if you have good info on this, as I am currently
> off the list while studying this.

First of all, I was genuinely puzzled when I first saw the subject header,
asking myself, "EN with a nominative?" or is it supposed to be for "hEIS
CRISTOS?" To my relief I see it's really about EN CRISTWi, which is indeed
particularly common in Paul. I always have felt that Today's English
Version gets the sense right, even if it's a bit long-winded in translating
it, "in spiritual union with Christ."

BAGD cite a considerable bibliography; rather than reproduce that list I
think it best just to point you to its article on EN in section I.d. Others
will probably be chiming in with their favorite works on this particular

Carl W. Conrad
(314) 935-4018 OR