Re: MALLON H

From: A. Brent Hudson (g9117472@mcmaster.ca)
Date: Fri Apr 26 1996 - 16:42:21 EDT

-- [ From: A. Brent Hudson * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

Sorry about the garbled post, I wasn't finished writing it and accidentally
sent it. The first paragraph should read:

I am having difficulty with with MALLON H. Normally, it means "more than;"
however, acc. to BAGD, it should be translated as "rather than" when
preceded by a negative. The tricky part is BAGD notes the negative can be
"unexpressed, though easily supplied fr. the context" Two of his examples
have confused me (Jn 3:19, 12:43). I checked out the use of AGAPAW +
MALLON H (HPER) and found that perhaps BAGD was hasty in classifying these
two passages as exclusionary (rather than). For instance:

Sorry,
Brent

 A. Brent Hudson
 Graduate Program in Religious Studies