Re: Tim Dickens and Brother Akbar's dialogues

From: Mr. Timothy T. Dickens (MDick39708@gnn.com)
Date: Sun Jun 02 1996 - 12:26:16 EDT

Mr. Tim Dickens,

> I've been busy in other things and haven't had opportunity to
take part in the discussions about the Holy Spirit and Islam. Just
now, archiving some e-mail from several days ago, I came across your
question included above.

        Since you have asked, I'll give you my opinion. I think you
may be somewhat ingenuous in entertaining an earnest discussion with
Akbar relative to this point. One may question whether heavily
indoctrinated Islamics are blind to certain key points of the
Christian message or if they perversely falsify them to protect
their own theological positions.

        Are you aware that most Islamics will not recognize that Jesus
died on the cross? My guess would be that such is the case with
your Islamic friend. Many of them also still hold to the
assertion--originally penned by Mohammed--that Christians worship
three gods, the Father the Son and the Virgin Mary! These are
not understandings that spring from a reasoned consideration of
Christianity, but perversions of the Gospel invented to impede a
true understanding of the Christian message. In my opinion, Akbar's
assertions about the John's use of PARAKLHTOS also fall into this
category.
        Your calling Akbar "brother" seems ingenuous to me as well,
but maybe I understand something else by that term than what you
mean.

>In Christ,
>
>--
>David L. Moore Director
>Miami, Florida, USA Department of Education
>dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com Southeastern Spanish
> District
>http://www.netcom.com/~dvdmoore of the Assemblies of God

Dear Brother Moore,
        I am glad to see that my dialogue with brother Akbar has
generated such needed discussion on the internet about 'our' need to

better understand our Muslim friends. Do not be offended when I use
the term 'friend' in the same sentence with Muslim and Christian.
The Qu'ran tell us that the closest in affection to the Muslim are
those who say 'We are Christians' (Sura 5:82).

        Furthermore, I am aware that many Muslims do not believe that
Jesus died on the cross. Their objection is theological in nature
and less historical. I would like to say, however, that as a
Christian we must be conscientious of our own theological yard stick
when referencing our faith, for example, back to the Hebrew Bible.
Many of the passages used to refer to Jesus in the Hebrew Bible
(Matthew 1:15,17-18) had no previous messianic understanding at all.
It is only through Christian exegesis that such passages from the
Hebrew Bible can be made to point Jesus, our Lord.

        So please do be careful, my brother when you make "ingenious"
and unfair accusations to those friends of ours who are Muslims
(Sura 5:82). For they may see you as the "heavily indoctrinated"
Christian who is "blind to certain key points of" his own "Christian
message."

Peace

Timothy T. Dickens
Smyrna, GA
MDick39708@gnn.com Home
ttd3@Columbia.edu School

Simon Peter said to them, 'Let Mary leave us, for women are not worthy of life,' Jesus said, 'I myself shall make her male, so that she too may become a living spirit resembling male. For every woman who will make herself male will enter the kingdom
of Heaven."

The gospel according to Thomas, saying #114 from the Nag Hammadi Library.