Re: Synonyms in John 21 (and Hebrew)

From: Carlton L. Winbery (
Date: Sat Jun 22 1996 - 08:17:34 EDT

>Roy Blizzard and David Bivens in their book THE DIFFICULT WORDS OF JESUS
>demonstrate that Jesus and the apostles most likely spoke Hebrew rather than
>Aramaic. Robert Lindsay in his book JESUS: RABBI AND LORD demonstrates the
>same thing, including suggesting that Mark and Luke and half of Acts were
>originally written in Hebrew--conclusions drawn from living and working in
>Israel for over 40 years in close association with David Flusser on the
>Hebrew background of the New Testament. If Jesus and the Apostles spoke
>Hebrew rather than Aramaic, would they have used two different words which
>the author of GJohn 21 writes as AGAPAW and PHILEW, thus making a
>differentiation that is apparently not possible in Aramaic? Also, any
>comments on Blizzard's and Lindsay's work?

I/ve got a graduate's student review of Lindsay's book somewhere in my
files from a seminar on Mark. I will try and fetch it when I get back in
the office early in July. As I recall he was more critical of his argument
that Luke was the first gospel written because it more easily translated
back into Hebrew. Lindsay was a Southern Baptist missionary to Israel for
well over thirty years. I am not acquainted with Blizzard at this time,
except from Dairy Queen (lowfat yogurt). Could you give more of the

Calton L. Winbery
Prof. Religion
LA College, Pineville, La