Re: Synonyms in John 21

From: Jonathan Robie (74144.2360@compuserve.com)
Date: Fri Jun 28 1996 - 10:47:07 EDT

Greg Carey writes:

> The sticky thing about "love" in John 21 is that so little in the FG is
> coincidental.

The question, of course, is whether each of your examples is something John
intended, or something we are reading into it. And this is always a difficult
question to answer...

> Jesus is the light of the world, but those who do evil love
> darkness instead of light.

I think John intended that. It is presented allegorically, and is great
imagery.

> Nicodemus comes to Jesus at night, and he never achieves full illumination.
> The Samaritan woman meets Jesus at noon, and she winds up bringing her city
> to Jesus.

These both claim to be factual stories. In neither case does the text dwell
on or even mention the imagery you allude to.

Jonathan