Re: Php 2:6

From: David L. Moore (
Date: Fri Jul 12 1996 - 10:24:47 EDT

Carl W. Conrad wrote:
> At 1:34 PM -0400 7/9/96, John Albu wrote:
> >Regarding the meaning of harpagmos in Philippians 2:6, there are some
> >interesting remarks by Heinz Kruse S. J. in his article "Harpagmos (Ad
> >Phil 2, 6)," published in "Verbum Domini," Vol. 27, 1949, pp. 355-360. I
> >am quoting from pp. 355, 356, 358, in Latin and providing an English
> >translation. I would appreciate if improvements would be offered for this
> >translation.
> Vel maximas gratias ago tibi, qui de nobis bene meritus es, non textum
> Latinum tantum prae oculis nostris afferens, attamen versionem quoque
> praeclaram anglicam praebens.
> I realize that opinions on this text are going to remain widely divergent,
> but the article which you have cited goes to the heart of the chief problem
> I have always had with the "Christ-hymn" as normally interpreted of
> surrender by Christ of a pre-existent divine status in assuming incarnate
> existence. I think that the addition of the Heinz Kruse article to the
> store of important discussions of this passage confirms the observation
> (not mine originally, although I heartily concur) that this
> justly-celebrated passage affords substantial difficulties in Greek
> vocabulary and grammar both to the traditional "incarnational"
> interpretation and to the "Adamic"interpretation.

        It certainly is a difficult passage in any account.

        Since Kruse and Hoover have read the philological data
differently, an interesting study that might yeild some answers would be
a review of their examples and an analysis of why they came to different
conclusions. I offer this as a comment, since I don't have easy access
to all the materials necessary do it myself.

David L. Moore                             Director
Miami, Florida, USA                        Department of Education                     Southeastern Spanish District            of the Assemblies of God