Re: PAS - Every [other]?

From: Marty Brownfield (mbrownfield@vantek.net)
Date: Thu Sep 26 1996 - 20:54:45 EDT

> From: "Stephen C. Carlson" <scarlson@washdc.mindspring.com>, on 9/25/96 9:15
PM:

> >UBS4 1 Corinthians 6:18 feugete thn porneian. PAN hamarthma ho ean
> >poihsh anqrwpos ektos tou swmatos estin ho de porneuwn eis to idion swma
> >hamartanei.
> >NASB 1 Corinthians 6:18 Flee immorality. Every OTHER sin that a man
> >commits is outside the body, but the immoral man sins against his own
> >body.
>
> I suspect that "other" is employed here to clarify the force of the
> adversative DE, translated by "but." I'm not so sure, however, that
> this carries the sense of the Greek. To me this states that all sins
> are outside the body and on top of that this particular is also inside
> the body. In other words, I would treat the DE as if there was a MEN
> in the first clause. Comments?

One interesting interpretation is that the first clause, "Every sin a man
commits is outside the body," is a Corinthian slogan, and Paul is refuting it:
"but a fornicator (as a counter-example) sins against his own body."

Of course, a major weakness of this argument is that we have no signals from
the text that Paul is quoting the Corinthians on this. Presumably they would
know when he is responding to them.

I am not totally convinced that this is a Corinthian slogan, but it is an
interesting suggestion.

Marty Brownfield
mbrownfield@vantek.net or mpbrownf@fedex.com
http://www.vantek.net/pages/mbrownfield/