John 3:35

From: Eric Weiss (eweiss@gte.net)
Date: Tue Oct 15 1996 - 01:29:12 EDT

John 3:35 hO PATHR AGAPAi TON hUION KAI PANTA DEDWKEN EN THi CEIRI
AUTOU.

EVERY translation I've checked gives the second half of this verse as
something like: "...and He (the Father) has given all things into (in)
His (Christ's/the Son's) hand(s)."

Is there any reason why it can't be translated: "...and He (the Father)
has given all things (to the Son) by His (the Father's) hand."?

Is the DEDWKEN awkward if there is no person to whom or into whose hands
PANTA is given? Is EN THi CEIRI AUTOU an idiomatic phrase the means
"into his hands" "into/under his authority" when I guess I would expect
a preposition other than EN?