RE: Location of "3rd Aorists" in Smyth

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@alex1.linknet.net)
Date: Wed Oct 30 1996 - 11:30:32 EST

Robery Brindle wrote;

>I've been following this thread with interest, but I haven't seen a reply yet
>to one of the original questions, namely location of a list of such verbs in
>Smyth's _Greek Grammar_. (I may well have skipped over it if it was posted.)
> The list is in par. 687, p. 197. He describes the verbs as "W-verbs" with
>"second aorists of the MI form." Also, par. 688 is a list of verbs which are
>"3rd aorist" in poetry (esp. in Homer).

There is a list of all such verbs that occur in the NT in Brooks & Winbery,
Morphology, pp. 239-240 both in the active form and the middle form. Some
of the verbs are MI verbs (non-thematic) in the first principal part, but
some are from verbs like GINWSKW, EGNWN.

Carlton L. Winbery
Fogleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College
winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net