Corporate pronouns

From: Bruce L. Thacker (
Date: Tue Nov 05 1996 - 15:42:44 EST

        I have enjoy reading the verious opinions expressed
since I started receiving this digest last month. Now I have
a question and will try and post it. For some time I have
reflected on the idea of plural pronouns in the genitive that
modify singular nouns. The subject came up in studying 1 Cor
6:19 where there is one body and plural you. I have thought
that the body that is the temple in not the believers' bodies
but the church. 1 Cor 3:16 is related, a plural este with a
singular temple, "you all are a temple."
        The question arose again today in Phil 2:12, "heautwn
swthrian." This is a plural pronoun with a singular
salvation. Hawthorne in his commentary on Philippians sees
this to mean the "spiritual health within the church" (p.
        Here is my question. How common is this plural
pronoun with a singular noun and is there some corporate
question implied. Thanks.

Bruce Thacker
127 W Roosevelt St., Shelton, WA 98584
H: (360) 427-1614 W: (360) 426-4697