Corporate pronouns

From: Bruce L. Thacker (brucet@freemark.com)
Date: Tue Nov 05 1996 - 15:42:44 EST

        I have enjoy reading the verious opinions expressed
since I started receiving this digest last month. Now I have
a question and will try and post it. For some time I have
reflected on the idea of plural pronouns in the genitive that
modify singular nouns. The subject came up in studying 1 Cor
6:19 where there is one body and plural you. I have thought
that the body that is the temple in not the believers' bodies
but the church. 1 Cor 3:16 is related, a plural este with a
singular temple, "you all are a temple."
        The question arose again today in Phil 2:12, "heautwn
swthrian." This is a plural pronoun with a singular
salvation. Hawthorne in his commentary on Philippians sees
this to mean the "spiritual health within the church" (p.
99).
        Here is my question. How common is this plural
pronoun with a singular noun and is there some corporate
question implied. Thanks.

Bruce

Bruce Thacker
127 W Roosevelt St., Shelton, WA 98584